Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hykem, Matt, and I are working on IOSU exploitation, and have at least two viable bugs that work on 5.3.2. And OSv11 on 5.4.0 is identical to 5.3.2's.
That's great to hear, but have you decided yet whether you plan to release any potential IOSU exploits or not, or if there'd even be any benefit to releasing it?

Mathew_Wi

bye
Trophies
XP
Country
Not publicly, and it's pretty unreliable. One person who has it can't even use it at all.
That's great to hear, but have you decided yet whether you plan to release any potential IOSU exploits or not, or if there'd even be any benefit to releasing it?

Releasing a "potential exploit" would be stupid, as Nintendo would have it patched before it is finished.

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...is 5.4.0 still not safe then?
As they have stated many times before:
  • They have a webkit exploit, but is is extremely unreliable and needs to be touched up.
  • The same kernel exploit works, but it is unreliable as well.
  • They have to bugs on 5.3.2 that are viable, and would most likely work on 5.4.0.
So while 5.4.0 is nowhere near supported, I would consider it to be safe.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As they have stated many times before:
  • They have a webkit exploit, but is is extremely unreliable and needs to be touched up.
  • The same kernel exploit works, but it is unreliable as well.
  • They have to bugs on 5.3.2 that are viable, and would most likely work on 5.4.0.
So while 5.4.0 is nowhere near supported, I would consider it to be safe.

I know, I just don't want to get screwed out of anything good, I know it's unstable on 5.4.0 as of now, heck, I don't know why I'm still on the fence about it; who else on here is on 5.4.0?

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi.
Lemme clear this up.

5.4.0 is unstable. Do not update if you want to do hacks and have a more likely chance to hack games.

And if you want to risk updating and being a dick and hacking online, it's your choice. But I'd stay on 5.3.2.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am on 5.4.0
I don't feel like I'm missing much ^^
It's true that I can't do the "hellow world" trick right now, but by the time cooler hacks and homebrew are made, 5.4.0 will most likely be more stable then and hopefully released.
But as the others said, unless you REALLY want to play online get dlcs and such on 5.4.0, stick to 5.3.2 since it already has a public stable webkit exploit.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but by the time cooler hacks and homebrew are made

Of course, this actually has to happen. :P Currently, most of us are focusing on either exploits or game mods, and everyone here seems to be taking it for granted that homebrew will come. Someone needs to take the initiative, or if they don't know how to start, tell me and I'll write some better directions.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, this actually has to happen. :P Currently, most of us are focusing on either exploits or game mods, and everyone here seems to be taking it for granted that homebrew will come. Someone needs to take the initiative, or if they don't know how to start, tell me and I'll write some better directions.

So....as of now, there's nothing compelling people to stay on 5.3.2? I mean, game hacks are all well and good, but many of us are waiting to see homebrew, however, the problem with that is how hard it would be to port them, knowing the limitations, what parts of the hardware can be accessed (emulators and using all three cores for better performance), etc. Am I wrong? :P

edit: Yup, homebrew ain't gonna happen, nor will emulators

Last edited by the_randomizer,

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
It's sad nobody wants to jump onto homebrew :( The vita scene has been quite busy with emulator releases lately....wish it could be the same for the wii-u

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's sad nobody wants to jump onto homebrew :( The vita scene has been quite busy with emulator releases lately....wish it could be the same for the wii-u

It sucks, I know, if I actually knew programming, I would help, but I don't. So really, unless there's a compelling reason, there's no reason for me to be on 5.3.2 :(

deformyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can program (don't know C, but I could learn it), but I don't feel like I can do anything until the kernel exploit gets released... It's a shame all the cool kids already get to work on game hacks while it's still not released, I wished there was more of a focus on the actual exploit... (but yeah, I'm probably just jealous)

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can program (don't know C, but I could learn it), but I don't feel like I can do anything until the kernel exploit gets released... It's a shame all the cool kids already get to work on game hacks while it's still not released, I wished there was more of a focus on the actual exploit... (but yeah, I'm probably just jealous)

That's not actually true. You can already write fairly good homebrew with just a userspace exploit (do you think Wii U games have kernel access? :P). Most of the useful APIs are documented on WiiUBrew, but some stuff like audio is missing. And as mentioned before, we have some examples like Pong. If people need more guidance, I'd be willing to work on a tutorial and some basic examples.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...