Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both Cafe OS and IOSU are most likely something custom by Nintendo. There's almost no resemblance between Cafe OS and Unix, and only superficial resemblance to Windows NT (Nintendo probably read Windows Internals before writing it). IOSU does expose a userspace interface sort of like Unix (/dev nodes, read(), write(), ioctl(), etc.), but internally it's clearly a custom microkernel. A (defunct?) company called BroadOn wrote the Wii IOS, but IOSU is pretty different, so Nintendo probably redid it from scratch.

But I thought that Luke Dixon said that Cafe OS was based EXCLUSIVELY on Linux? :rolleyes:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
But I thought that Luke Dixon said that Cafe OS was based EXCLUSIVELY on Linux? :rolleyes:
He also made a WiiU usb script for WiiU file format and decrypted its "kernal"
He even released the code and screenshot with .ini files :rolleyes:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
CrystalBall1.gif

2015 October 16th, at 2PM GMT...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just so people think it REALLY has to /will come when E3 is here?

I wouldnt want that pressure on me.
This everyone keeps mention the E3 as a solid date when noone has been confirmed, my guess is E3 will come and gone and we will stay the same, i can beleive the hack coming this year but not in E3 time since that is only 1 month away.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This everyone keeps mention the E3 as a solid date when noone has been confirmed, my guess is E3 will come and gone and we will stay the same, i can beleive the hack coming this year but not in E3 time since that is only 1 month away.
No just web.exploit for the new firmware. It will be out by then i hope.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I mean, once we get a working 5.3.2 Webkit exploit things should go by pretty quickly since MN1 can test on his own, and once Hykem gets all the keys then he can as well on the latest version. The kernel exploit just needs a bit of work to be less timing dependent.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-homebrew-channel-wii-u-before-the-e3.388832/#post-5493914

Nym5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would it be possible to create an app to take in game screenshots?
Play Xenoblade Chronicles X will make my whole body scream for a feature like this!

Reactions: Margen67

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to create an app to take in game screenshots?
Play Xenoblade Chronicles X will make my whole body scream for a feature like this!

That might actually be a thing in the future, considering the browser can see the game on the TV and gamepad when you activate the curtains. You might not even need kernel for that (unless if you don't want some server running on your PC).
This made me think of something, how does the browser get these images, considering it runs in userspace and those are images from another piece of software. Secret way to read game code/assets/screen/foo/whatiwant?

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e