Hardware Wii U game saves

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am confused about this so hopefully the community can clear stuff up.

Originally there was no way to back up your game saves but I have seen that at some point in time, not sure when, they added the ability to back up your saves to a USB storage device.

I am wondering if these saves are still console locked. Can I backup my mario save data to USB and then go play my game save on a friends console?

I just tried to backup my game saves. I formatted the USB device and then went in to the data management. There are options to copy, move, delete and stuff but I was sort of confused about what is what. What I mean is see a bunch of stuff labeled by game, but I am not sure if this is game save data, game patches, full virtual console games....can I back up my virtual console save or only the entire game with its save data and everything? Is it all just combined as one thing?

It is also confusing as some games seem to have completely separate save data depending on what user is logged in while others have the same save data across all users. This is just confusing. Is there any way I can copy save data from one user to another?

I don't really like how this works on this console. I guess we started to see some of this on wii where certain games locked save data to a specific console.

I already lost a massive amount of gameplay on lego city undercover and mainly I want to know how I can avoid this in the future by backing up my save data.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i didn't know nintendo released a update to backup locally? do you have a changelog of when that happened? when the console launched the only option was to move data to external storage, not copy/backup it over so please elaborate more on this pls.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea when it was added.

I found the info on nintendos website. I'll find the link tomorrow and add it to the thread.

But yeah I was able to copy stuff to a USB stick just fine about an hour ago. I was thinking of deleting my lego city data since it barely any progress now and then see if I can restore it from USB backup.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here is info from Nintendos support website.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...u=how_to&submenu=wup-usb-ht-back-up-save-data

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/as...a/includes/wup-usb-ht-move-data.jsp&l=English

It sounds like if you have the USB plugged in with the save data it becomes the default location. I think this means I can take my save to a friends console, play my game save, then return to my console and continue to play save data off the USB or copy the new data to my console and then unplug the USB to use the internal memory.

Sounds pretty good I guess. I am just wondering how well it works.

I will have to test this....yes I actually have a friend with a Wii U. Lives next door to me so thats convenient.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One note on this, from my experience there is no way to "eject" the USB storage device.

I was trying to figure out how and ended up just pulling it out and the Wii U did not like that at all. It locked up and had half the gamepad screen displaying messed up static.

I guess you are just supposed to power down the console before removing USB storage.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Backing it up as not to lose it so easily is fine but if I understand right, the whole USB drive will be console locked so if you take it to your friend's house, your friend's console won't be able to read the USB drive AT ALL.

I kinda think they did this because of how many hacks on the Wii were based on game saves that were supposedly from other consoles.

(correct me if I'm wrong, though, as this would definitely have it's benefits)

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I am not sure. The pages I linked to do not say anything about the USB device being console locked. Clearly purchased content will be, but not sure about game saves.

I am going to try it on my friends Wii U and see what happens.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow, so what is the whole point in the backup feature if you can't even use it properly, i'm sure there will be a program that will read the hidden data soon so all hope won't be completely lost.
Unless Wii U is hacked that is.

USB used in Wii U is formatted with encrypted partition, like how PS3 encrypts the entire HDD. One will need to hack Wii U to obtain decryption key.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am probably going to grill their customer service on this issue. I have to call anyway to get my 3ds XL repaired.

It is ridiculous. If something happens to your console all your save data is gone no matter what.

Reactions: Link Shed

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is ridiculous. If something happens to your console all your save data is gone no matter what.
All modern console/handheld these days encrypts save files, if not the entire partition.

It is just how it is. If you are going to grill someone, grill Iwata, because representative who answer your phonecall are just someone who are paid with minimum wages and minimal training.

Link Shed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am probably going to grill theI know of..its just came savesr customer service on this issue. I have to call anyway to get my 3ds XL repaired.

Maybe if enough of us call they will update the feature.. this is the dumbest thing i know of..its just game saves. I will be pissed if I lose all my saves

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's possible to copy the savedata to a USB/Card but then if it's usable on a different profile that may or may not work though.

I tried plugging it in to the PC to see what would come up and the USB showed "format USB", heck, Xbox 360 formatted USBs actually show files (even though they're hidden by default).

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if enough of us call they will update the feature.. this is the dumbest thing i know of..its just game saves. I will be pissed if I lose all my saves

No, it's not just game saves. It's an attack vector. If they allowed you to transfer game saves, we'd have Wii U piracy by now. What Nintendo should do is automatically back up your saves to their cloud.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
No, it's not just game saves. It's an attack vector. If they allowed you to transfer game saves, we'd have Wii U piracy by now. What Nintendo should do is automatically back up your saves to their cloud.

360 and PS3 allow to copy saves so why should the Wii U be a special case?

If they were to use the 'Power of the Cloud' it'd probably cost a fee like it does on Xbox/PlayStation.

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i wish they enabled it i would love to see piracy for wiiu but since there isn't i reordered my WiiKEYU

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...