Wii U error -5 at boot

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pepeu557, Aug 23, 2019.

?
  1. No, I don't have any backups..

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, I can't access the home menu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    no, the wii u homebrew browser, i just removed it so i could duplicate what is going on on your console, but it might be what is happening, maybe download the wii homebrew channel and place it where it belongs, personally, i would go through the thread for the cbhc mod, and put all the things you can autoboot with the cbhc mod on the sd in the right spot, maybe we can get it to at least boot.

2. MrVtR

MrVtR GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2017
    Brazil
    Basically,that's what I said,I had -5 error last week cuz the SD card was fake and files were corrupted and I fixed this kind of error in other consoles,the other possibility is that some file is missing,I don't see another possibility,the easiest way to test is replace all CBHC files or try to change the SD card

Last edited by MrVtR, Aug 26, 2019
  3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    cbhc shouldn't be the cause of that error. you don't need the sd card plugged in with cbhc unless you're trying to boot into the homebrew launcher or other homebrew.

4. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    United States
    maybe try older files ? if it was modded 3 years ago .. newer files may not work.

wicksand420 likes this.
  5. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    it seems CBHC is configured to launch something from the SD

6. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    United States
    I have a wiiu that has not been updated in about 3 years , I'll make a zip tomorrow of the SD contents ... maybe that will work... will post in about 18 hours from now-- got to get to bed then go to work

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also , I have not read all the pages , get easeus partition manager free version. . be sure that no other hidden partitions are on the SD . do a full format fat32 32 clusters

Pepeu557 likes this.
  7. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    I think they mean The Homebrew Launcher, the Wii U one.

Pepeu557 likes this.
  8. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    Seriously if this mess is ever fixed then uninstall cbhc,you only save like 30 sec with the risk of things like this or loosing your Wii U,use the normal method of selecting haxchi from the Wii U menu and wait 30 sec,you can save a lot of problems,I don't see the appeal of this,I have the normal method with a fw.img installed ON THE NAND without needing a SD card to boot the CFW when it was released like 3 years ago and still works without problems

Last edited by jesus96, Aug 27, 2019
    Pepeu557 likes this.
  9. Pepeu557
    OP

Pepeu557 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2018
    Brazil
    Of course, that's the first thing that I'll do! x)
    I'll try hardmod to config the system.xml to boot sysnand

10. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with cbhc, its the people who install it and not know how to read or pay attention to what they are doing that brick there consoles. I've been using cbhc since it came out and have had no problems

11. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    There's a lot wrong with it. It's a very ugly hack.

jesus96 likes this.
  12. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    but until some super awesome dev decides to start messing around with the free coldboot and gets it to the point where it is usable, it will continue to be the only way to coldboot. I think everyone jumped ship on the wii u as soon as the switch came out.

13. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    theres also nothing wrong with waiting 30-40 secs after you select haxchi from the wii u menu,you literally save a lot of problems,most of the bricks are because people didn't wantend to wait 30-40 sec to load the CFW

just have patience and save your wii u instead of having a beautiful black piano brick

14. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Most people have small children that don't understand that in order to play the game they want to play, they have to go to a different game first.

15. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Any child can understand that, unless it's a toddler that really has no idea of what a video game is.

16. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    "hey son just touch this thing and wait until it loads the menu again"

these people with children probably already bricked their wii u,also i dont see the point of your example,most of the kids would probably play wii u games and you can play them without CFW,unless they are from another region or have fake .tik dlc,if you have a family just hide haxchi in a folder and put non CFW required games on the main menu

Last edited by jesus96, Aug 28, 2019
  17. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I'm so sick of this fucking site and the people on it

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    afaik, the only issue with cbhc is formatting or removing the account that owns the cbhc title. I don't think it can be deleted or moved anymore.

Pepeu557 likes this.
  19. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    That is correct. Attempting to move or delete the DS title containing CBHC results in an error message, forcing the user to manually riiboot the Wii U.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I mean, I have the CBHC title in a folder on the last menu page, colored black and titled "DO NOT DELETE!!!!!!!". And drunk kirby, the ONLY WAY to brick with CBHC is to format the Wii U or delete the user account that bought the DS VC title in the first place.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted