wii u emmc upgrade

Nevin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi i was going to get a wii u but I heard the emmc is very prone to dying I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade it to a 256 or even a 1 or 2 tb or even higher I know that would require bga work but is that possible

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, there are two, or even 3 Problems in your way. The first is IOSU has 4 size bins, and limits the size of the block device t othe biggest that fits, the bins are <8GB, 8GB, 32GB and 64GB. So from that, the biggest size you could use would be 64GB. But wait, there are more problems.
The next is, we can't grow recreate the FS at the moment. So the FS limits it to the previous size. Luckly the size does not have to match exactly, because of the bins.
And there is also the SLC cache in between, which might also cause trouble.
If you use a memory that is bigger than the current bin it is in, the system will not boot. So your only option atm is to use roughly the same size.

The first problem could be worked around with a permanent defuse as it would allow to load a modified IOSU, but then you still have the other problems.

Also not all eMMCs are failing. The Samsung and Toshiba ones seem to be fine. The ones failing are Hynix from 2012 and first alf 2013 and even these are are often enough fine and do not fail.

Do a NAND Backup and look our for retries. Then you can also check all the files by just reading them. If no retries and no errors come up, you are probably fine.

https://hackmd.io/d12Fq9g-QlCjN2HJp7Yvew?view

Reactions: Ettino

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end