Hardware Wii U don't like my SSD?!?

Rambytes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've put my Kingston SSD 120Gb v300 in the WiiU, but the console don't see the drive. I've try 3 enclosure and always invisible to the WiiU, but on my computer the drive is there.

The firmware for the SSD is up to date, so what can be the problem?

This is the drive I have:
http://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/v#sv300s3

Not a big problem because I have a 64Gb flashdrive too, but i just want to know why the WiiU don't like the SSD.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of 2.5" HDDs need a 'Y-cable' to work with the Wii U, as it apparently doesn't supply the same amount of power per port as the Wii did. So one USB port for power, and the other for data. I don't know how much power the SSD draws, but apparently it's more than a single Wii U port provides.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of 2.5" HDDs need a 'Y-cable' to work with the Wii U, as it apparently doesn't supply the same amount of power per port as the Wii did. So one USB port for power, and the other for data. I don't know how much power the SSD draws, but apparently it's more than a single Wii U port provides.

SSD actually draws considerably less power than HDD. Remember that SSD has no moving parts. Motor inside the HDD that spins the spindle is actually the part that consumes the most energy.

SSD power draw is comparable to a USB flash drive or a memory card.

Problem with Wii U is that it does not handle sleep mode as good as a PC would do. You'll need to do some fiddling to disable the sleep mode in Kingston SSD.

Rambytes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The SSD need 5V 1A... So Trumpet you think that the SSD stay in sleep when I turn on the console???

edit: wtf.... for my SSD I need a Y-cable..... wtf! a SSD is supose to draw less power..... but I still need a Y-cable.... pffffffffffff

edit2: Do you think if I run game from a SSD I will gain performance or the USB dongle is enough? (i don't talk about vWii but Real Wii U game, like Zelda HD, Pikmin 3, etc...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The SSD need 5V 1A... So Trumpet you think that the SSD stay in sleep when I turn on the console???

edit: wtf.... for my SSD I need a Y-cable..... wtf! a SSD is supose to draw less power..... but I still need a Y-cable.... pffffffffffff

edit2: Do you think if I run game from a SSD I will gain performance or the USB dongle is enough? (i don't talk about vWii but Real Wii U game, like Zelda HD, Pikmin 3, etc...

It is possible. Many people solved their problem by disabling sleep mode on their data drive.

I encourage you to try Y cable. I'm skeptical that the problem is power draw, but try it to eliminate it for sure.

Performance wise, they should be the same when compared to a decent USB flash drive. The whole point of SSD is faster random read speed, which is achieved because lack of moving parts. USB flash drive also uses NAND chip featured in SSD, that and being bottleneck to USB 2.0 means you should see comparable performance between them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended