Hardware Wii U disk drive repair help

DadsArmyDean

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am trying to repair my old wii u system, the issue ive been having is that when i turn the wii u on it turns straight back off and flashes red, ive dismantled the system and narrowed the issue down to the disk drive, if the drive is connected i get a flashing red light if the drive is disconnected the wii u boots fine into the menu but then goes to a black screen with an error saying there is an issue with my disk drive please contact nintendo, i have dismantled the drive and tried to just connect the logic board inside the drive like some other people are doing but the same issue is present, i dont care about having a disk drive and im trying to get the console running for digital only content. does anyone know if i get a logic board from another wii u and connect it will the system run? i understand the boards are paired to each system so i wont be able to use it to read disks but will the system detect there is a drive and run properly?

Thanks

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i understand the boards are paired to each system so i wont be able to use it to read disks but will the system detect there is a drive and run properly?
Unfortunately not. People replacing the complete drive assembly because of failed laser have often been confused why they bought 3 different drives and none of them seemed to work while the infamous error shows up. The drive board from your console has to be working in order to boot up without the error.
Having the drive board and the motherboard being married to each other wasn't the friendliest idea in the first place. Completely disabling the console on failure to detect the correct drive, instead of a simple notification on each boot, is what I consider evil.

What I didn't understand is this part:
i have dismantled the drive and tried to just connect the logic board inside the drive like some other people are doing but the same issue is present
Which issue is present with board only? "Turning off and red red flashing" or "160-1400 problem with the disc drive"

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: jeannotte
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Coto @ Coto: lol