Wii U Disc Backups?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TiMeBoMb4u2, Jan 17, 2013.

1. sonictopfan
    This message by sonictopfan has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 20, 2013, Reason: offtopic. ~Cyan.
    Jan 19, 2013
  2. BIFFTAZ
    This message by BIFFTAZ has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 20, 2013, Reason: offtopic. ~Cyan.
    Jan 19, 2013
  3. sonictopfan
    This message by sonictopfan has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 20, 2013, Reason: offtopic. ~Cyan.
    Jan 19, 2013
  4. winmaster
    This message by winmaster has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 20, 2013, Reason: offtopic. ~Cyan.
    Jan 20, 2013
  5. n1ckn4m3

n1ckn4m3 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I hope that the rumors about a WiiU hack requiring CFW for the optical drive are correct, I think that the second Nintendo starts losing current-generation money by way of game piracy, they're going to take a different stance on it and start banning users for it. I appreciate I have a slightly different view than most (I actually own each of the about 100 Wii games on my USB hard drive), but considering I own the WiiU, I would really like to see it successful over the long term to ensure I continue to have good games available for it.

Additionally, the WiiU is not selling well right now in the US or in Japan, and game backups or game piracy would be a huge detriment to third party development adoption of the console. One need only recall the Dreamcast and the PSP to see what happens when it is too easy to pirate games too early in a console's lifecycle -- the console dies. If it requires a chip or soldering (PS2 before the swap discs/Xbox), or specific cabling and flashing (e.g., X360), it will be a difficult enough bar of entry that it won't be so widespread to make as much a difference -- but if it ends up being the Wii, a full soft-mod that allows for piracy and homebrew, I'd be concerned about the overall console's lifespan...

I'm excited for the prospect of WiiU homebrew, the WiiU is a potent little device and historically homebrew has provided a great level of functionality to my devices -- I just hope that it doesn't immediately blossom into widespread piracy of WiiU games...

Ray Lewis likes this.
  6. Plunt

Plunt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    Ontario
    @n1ckn4m3
    I agree completely with what you are saying.

On a side note, I had a launch PS2 and within a month or two I was playing backups without a chip. Granted I did open it up, cut the power wire to the tray eject, wired it to a switch with alt. power source; used a Gameshark disc as a loader and flipped my custom eject switch and popped in a backup (tricking the console not to reread the security sectors). I realise this is a bit more complicated then a simple soft mod, but I was 14 or 15 at the time.

Sorry that was off topic.. Not even sure where I was going with that, just wanted to share.

7. spayrosam

spayrosam GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2009
    Gafsa
    There is nothing that can't be hacked! It's simply a question of time.

Pattonfiend67 likes this.
  8. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Old yes, but Just Dance 4 is actually 17GBs on the Wii U's eShop.

9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I moved all offtopic messages about supposed/leaked/fake/troll informations on hacking the WiiU.
    I kept only the messages relevant to the actual topic: WiiU drive, Reading the WiiU Disc and the disc format.

If you want to talk about the other subject, go to this thread.

pelago and Scuba156 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted