Wii U Devs Gauging Interest in Media Player

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Hyro-Sama, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Not sure if this has been posted as of yet. One of the devs from Helix Games made a post on reddit asking if people would want a Media Player for Wii U. Could be interesting if this goes anywhere.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Original post on reddit

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...well, at least they're trying to "fix it". :melow:

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    The biggest problem with media player is licensing cost from commercial codecs like H.264, MPEG 2, MP3, etc on top of standard licensing fee from Nintendo.

When you add those up it'll drive up the cost quite a bit.

4. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    They should just team up with Plex or something to make a player on the Wii U.

5. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Zero interest. But since I've played enough of MK8, I'm back to having zero interest in the wii u again.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Plex is a player based on streaming, and you know how Nintendo feels about anything online. A native player is a better idea, and to be honest, if there's anyone who should work on adding multimedia features to the system, it's Nintendo themselves. It's pretty embarrasing that the hardware is capable of decoding multimedia formats and only uses it for online streaming - that box could do so, so much more than it does.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Sure. At least this way, the Wii U can play something.

Hiyo!

8. Jan1tor

Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    I use "Play on" and it allows me to stream any video from my pc to the Wii U browser. Works great.

9. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Except that'll never happen.

Remember, Nintendo go as far as hiring Panasonic to custom design GC, Wii, and Wii U optical discs to avoid paying licensing fee to DVD Forum and Blu-ray association (whereas Microsoft and Sony are perfectly fine to pay them).

Asking them to add multimedia player to Wii U? I don't see it happening any time soon.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They can still add MP3/MP4/AVI etc. support, there's nothing standing in the way of that and they've done it previously for the GBA, the DS etc.

11. anon3536

anon3536 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    United States
    Honestly id rather have nintendo do one so it could be system wide, id love to be able to listen to my music while playing mk8 or pikmin instead of playing through my headset hookup on tv

12. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If it's not plug-and-play-the-video (of course you'd need to pick the one to watch) then I don't care, not even if they had compatibility with MKV files.

I already have a 360 which does this so I'm not bothered that Wii U lacks a media player.

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Or just support OGG, FLAC, MKV and xVid no having to pay royalties.

14. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    If it had support for 10-bit 1080p24 H.264 in MKVs, I would jump all over it.
    HEVC/H.265 and VP9 support would be icing on the cake, though I don't know how feasible they are.

Nevermind the fact I don't have a WiiU.

15. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    MP4 and AVI are containers. They can house variety of codecs underneath.

Nintendo are quite conservative about license fee. For example Photo Channel 1.0 supports MP3, on 1.1 they added AAC but dropped MP3 support. Likely because they don't want to pay both at the same time.
    Except that none of them are widely used. If you release a player that only supports free codecs/containers, you'll leave a lot of people behind.
    10 bit H.264 is impossible to do for Wii U. So far 10 bit playback on PC is CPU only, and Wii U is known to have a weak CPU, with much of Wii U games rely on GPGPU to offload CPU workload. No GPU in todays market is known to decode 10 bit H.264.

H.265 and VP9 still have a long way to go before it becomes a widely used video codecs. It took about 5 years after initial H.264 standard were published to see major usage. Many early Blu-ray releases use VC-1 or MPEG-2 instead.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm well-aware of that, I was merely saying that the "official" standards are supported. I'm not expecting the Wii U to play XVid's, I'm merely stating that your usual media file will play just fine.