lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
I have one more piece of info from my friend in Japan,

The Wii U controller is hiding a Wii sensor bar inside the black 'sensor strip' either side of the camera!
This is already being used in the golf demo and it allows tracking of a Wii remote from any angle and into the TV using the standard sensor bar.
It is also for use when playing wii games and you cant find your sensor bar!? It has a stand like a photo frame apparently and can sit on a TV or table top.

That is all I have but it is cool I think. I am impressed with the Wii U, I like that Nintendo are doing their own thing.

575061baf5cd7f8b691d17b1e65ca98e3557bf58.jpg

Wii%20U%20-%202-420-100.jpg

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That golf thing was actually in the E3 trailer, someone put the Wii U controller on the floor and used a wii remote like a golf club.

So it makes sense really.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
DiscostewSM said:
I do admit that I thought it was just for looks, but if that is true, then we really do have true Wii playback without the need for a TV.
That's what I like about it.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good to me. That golf demo was really, really cool, though I'm not sure what it would do, other than it looking super cool.

Though, other than the floor use and a canvas use, I don't see how else you'd be able to use the sensor bar built into the remote. But I'm willing to try and see!

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
1. turn on your wii u
2. put in a wii game
3. pick up wiimote and aim at wii U controller
4. play without turning on your TV

that seems like a good use (not from source, just me thinking of ways it will be used well)

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know - that's the "canvas" approach - you stand the machine up like you would a painting canvas and point at it. You'd need to actually stand it up though, which means you'd need to have it further away from you. Unlike a TV, the screen is only 6.2 inches, so having it 15 feet away is less than ideal, which is why I'm interested in seeing what other uses developers could find for it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Was I the only one who as soon saw the controller thought that the black thing hid two IR leds, which were for Wii sensor bar backwards compatibility?
unsure.gif

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Was I the only one who as soon saw the controller thought that the black thing hid two IR leds, which were for Wii sensor bar backwards compatibility?
unsure.gif

Nope. I was wondering the same thing but didnt get much confirmation until today.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
I know - that's the "canvas" approach - you stand the machine up like you would a painting canvas and point at it. You'd need to actually stand it up though, which means you'd need to have it further away from you. Unlike a TV, the screen is only 6.2 inches, so having it 15 feet away is less than ideal, which is why I'm interested in seeing what other uses developers could find for it.

Well, the Wii U sensors aren't as far apart as the sensor bar for the Wii, so that could affect the distance you'd need for it to work in canvas mode? The golf demonstration is an example of just how close a Wiimote can be read by the controller.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, I really can't wait for this to come out!
... just thinking about all of the future stories about idiots stepping on this new controller while trying to play golf, or throwing it into their TV has just got me all giddy inside!
tongue.gif

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Windaga said:

Well, the Wii U sensors aren't as far apart as the sensor bar for the Wii, so that could affect the distance you'd need for it to work in canvas mode? The golf demonstration is an example of just how close a Wiimote can be read by the controller.
Im sure the controller doesnt ''read'' anything. The senor bar is just 2 IR sources which creats an IR field for wiimote to calibrate itself too. The wiimote information and motion control data is sent to the system and not the sensor bar, which doesnt really sense anything, just emits an IR field. Some motion control games can be played without a sensor bar at all.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
gloweyjoey said:
DiscostewSM said:
Windaga said:

Im sure the controller doesnt ''read'' anything. The senor bar is just 2 IR sources which creats an IR field for wiimote to calibrate itself too. The wiimote information and motion control data is sent to the system and not the sensor bar, which doesnt really sense anything, just emits an IR field. Some motion control games can be played without a sensor bar at all.

Pardon me. I meant the other way around. Nevertheless, my point still stands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.