Homebrew Wii U browser HTTPS key/cert update?

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of an oddball question here, but I vaguely remember a thread (that I can't find for the life of me with over an hour of searching) that described a method of manually updating the Wii U web browser's HTTPS keys. With more websites enforcing HTTPS with newer keys, the poor Wii U is already starting to run into the problem of not being able to validate the keys. (to say nothing of the humble PSP, that thing's web browser is a legacy dinosaur by now - it used to be able to run YouTube!)

Does anyone have any idea if this is actually a thing you can do, or just someone theorycrafting? (I mean, it's obviously possible, but if it bricks the system it might as well not be.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
New certificates (probably just a romfs edit if lucky), or a new TLS version (actual machine code work)?

The ghetto workaround is, of course, a SSL stripping proxy running on your PC/router/raspberry/whatever and connecting the console (or just the browser if it has a dedicated setting) to it

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
To add new root certificates, you just need to edit the rootca.pem via ftpiiu everywhere: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-add-custom-root-certs-to-the-wii-us-browser.468201/
To add the Let's Encrypt Root Certificate, you need to use the cross-signed certificate by IdenTrust: https://letsencrypt.org/certs/trustid-x3-root.pem.txt
Don't know how to add the "real" LE Root Certificate because it doesn't work if I add the certificates from here: https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/ :unsure: AFAIK LE won't renew their cross-signed stuff after 2021 anymore. Need to experiment with this... EDIT: just export the ISRG root cert from Firefox
Anyways, just append the cert including the "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----" stuff. You don't need "# Issuer:" comments

Last edited by Brawl345,
Reactions: datahoarder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents