Hacking Wii U Bricked! :(

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am new to this forums, please I need help with my Wii U.
It wasn't reading games out of my HDD so I was trying to fix it. I formatted my memory card to later realize I had the nand backup there!
I did a stupid system reset and now I have a bricked wii u and my nand backup it's gone too.
Is there any way you guys can provide me with a nand backup of yours to try and see if I can return this baby to life?
Thanks!

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how exactly did a system reset result in a brick?

i'd take that up with Nintendo, if I were you... Should be covered by warranty...

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are talking about the Wii mode?
Does the WiiU mode still work?
Are you on the newest firmware (3.1.0)?

If not, do the update, perhaps it will fix your Wii mode.

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am not talking about wii or wii mode.
A friend of mine told me it was possible to recover the nand on my bricked wii U but I guess he was talking about the wii.
Anyways, I was talking about my Wii U. I had the homebrew channel, d2x clos, fs toolbox and IOS236 installed but my wii U was acting weird so I did a system reset (I didn't know much about the wii U at the time) and I believe that the system reset bricked the system. The red light flashes when I try to turn it on.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am not talking about wii or wii mode.
A friend of mine told me it was possible to recover the nand on my bricked wii U but I guess he was talking about the wii.
Anyways, I was talking about my Wii U. I had the homebrew channel, d2x clos, fs toolbox and IOS236 installed but my wii U was acting weird so I did a system reset (I didn't know much about the wii U at the time) and I believe that the system reset bricked the system. The red light flashes when I try to turn it on.

I think your system was already broken before you did this, and then the reset made it even worse. Opps. Nintendo will probably refuse to fix it since you hacked it. There is no way to recover a Wii U right now. Mine bricked on the first day due to power failure during the update. Nintendo fixed that, because obviously my system wasn't hacked yet.

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system rebooted fine for the last time after the reset. I went into the wii menu and the homebrew channel was gone.
After that, I unplugged the Wii U and when I plugged it back it didn't turn on anymore.
So, do you think Nintendo will tell if I hacked it even when there's nothing saved?
Oh, and my friend tells me not to disassemble it to get my game out because they will notice it. How exactly will they know if I opened it since there aren't any labels between screws like the Xbox 360?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system rebooted fine for the last time after the reset. I went into the wii menu and the homebrew channel was gone.
After that, I unplugged the Wii U and when I plugged it back it didn't turn on anymore.
So, do you think Nintendo will tell if I hacked it even when there's nothing saved?
Oh, and my friend tells me not to disassemble it to get my game out because they will notice it. How exactly will they know if I opened it since there aren't any labels between screws like the Xbox 360?

Send it in, see if they fix it. Worse that happens is they send it back to you. Don't open it, that would only make them even more likely to deny you. The eject button doesn't work? Tell Nintendo about that, and they can get your game out for you.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, maybe unplugged during reset? I have never heard of this. Yeah, you were updating and power went out, lol, pray they don't see it was hacked. Maybe you can wait until Wii U mode is hacked and recover? There is no safety net in public for vWiilike there was for Wii. That would be awesome for tinkering of there was. Good luck.

Edit: sarcasm, claim power went out or something. As a joke, there was "omap flash" and ways to bomb phones like "fubar.". Wish for you there was a way to do this for you here. That way you'd know they would find nothing;-)

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I wish I was more careful with this thing. Yes, I heard about the update that can brick your wii u if you unplug it.
My situation was kindda the same, but instead, I did the update and a system reset after that. IDK really what happened.
I'll send it to Nintendo on Monday... Crossing my fingers!!!

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How do you exactly brick a Wii U? The vWii differs from the Wii U's system, if you brick vWii mode you just erased everything Wii related on your Wii U, despites that the Wii U functions should work properly.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you exactly brick a Wii U? The vWii differs from the Wii U's system, if you brick vWii mode you just erased everything Wii related on your Wii U, despites that the Wii U functions should work properly.

No, the Wii U is very delicate. It's easy to brick it, just pull the power during the update. The problem is that Nintendo made the Wii U too delicate and didn't put in self-correction system. It needs something like SFC, system file checker, that windows has.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
No, the Wii U is very delicate. It's easy to brick it, just pull the power during the update. The problem is that Nintendo made the Wii U too delicate and didn't put in self-correction system. It needs something like SFC, system file checker, that windows has.
I don't know what game systems you may have used before, but just about every game system that features firmware updating will brick if it loses power in the middle of the process. Unlike with handheld systems, there is no potential fail safe for consoles either in terms of backup power sources to ensure that nothing bad happens. Basically, if you define delicate as "not having the plethora of repair options that PC's offer", then every console from the last gen, handhelds and consoles alike, are pretty damned delicate.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WIIU is delicate in more ways than one ;)

In light of the recent brick I will be posting a tutorial on how to backup the WIIU system software ahead of schedule to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Its the users fault, I know some people who were too stupid and pulled the power out when it was updating, all because they wanted to play their stupid game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?