Hacking Wii U Bricked! :(

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its the users fault, I know some people who were too stupid and pulled the power out when it was updating, all because they wanted to play their stupid game.

Sometimes it happens on accident though. Mine was an accident. There are all kinds of ways to have power loss. In my case, I unplugged something else on the same power strip. It caused some kind of power spike, and the power strip turned off. How was I supposed to know that could happen? It's never happened before.

Anything could happen though. There could be a brownout caused by anything. There could be real power loss to the whole house, ie, blackout. A circuit breaker could flip. Our crappy dryer that the landlord won't replace flips circuit breakers all the time.

It shouldn't be able to brick due to power loss during the frickin download stage. Download should be safe. They should download the whole update before applying any of it. Mine bricked halfway into the downloading stage. And the way it installs should minimize risk of bricking. The thing should be able to at least show an error message, not just sit there black.

You know how phones have download mode? It's really hard to mess up download mode. If you mess up your OS, you can use download mode to fix it. Modern consoles should do that.

joeyjoey396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I read somewhere that if you turn it back on, it will update during the black screen and work when it's done. Try leaving it on overnight, otherwise I don't know what to tell you.

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you hack the wiiu in the first place..... -_-
Well, it may sound stupid to you but some of us try to unleash all the potential a console has. I play games from the HDD, the covers look beautiful and the load times are like 20 times faster. Obviously you have a lot of money to buy every game. I don't.

Reactions: darkseekerliu

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its the users fault, I know some people who were too stupid and pulled the power out when it was updating, all because they wanted to play their stupid game.
They are not stupid, the update takes ages and even longer if you have a slow ISP. I have a decent ISP and it took almost 2 freaking hours.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not stupid, the update takes ages and even longer if you have a slow ISP. I have a decent ISP and it took almost 2 freaking hours.
Not decent if it takes 2 hours. Any update for me takes 3-5 minutes, IF that long. My connection is not even the highest offered here (not even close). Common sense; if it is running then leave it alone. Power spikes, accidents...okay, that sucks. However, being impatient and pulling power is the user's fault.

Nintendo and others SHOULD put in more safety. Such as a boot menu to "repair" with default stock software on there to revert to. How tough would something like that be, seriously? OR, "Most recent version that worked" type of option. MANY could imagine such approaches, right?

EDIT: for emphasis, leave it alone, it is working, and will reboot, and if you downloaded it all and it then stopped (leave it alone for a while), then that is Nintendo, or some issue with update itself. Sorry, I like, commas, obviously;-)

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I said decent because I usually download stuff for my laptop at least 2 mb/second. IDK why it took forever on the wii u. Probably it was getting bad already.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I said decent because I usually download stuff for my laptop at least 2 mb/second. IDK why it took forever on the wii u. Probably it was getting bad already.
Odd, I am not sure if you are wireless or wired. Some routers are touchy with settings. I stick to N for everything, and usually get great throughput. I know there are bigger and better. It works for now, no need to worry about updating. You pay for 30 MB/sec but rarely see anything above 3 MB/sec anyway. SOMETIMES certain sites fly. I could think of about 50 reasons for your slow download speed. So yeah, no offense Edgard, I was joking more than anything else.

EDIT: not that this is "great" but when I download like 10 different files I can get 1-2 MB/sec on all of them. They should say "Simultaneous throughput" to not deceive people. Of course, SpeedTest is an app I love. It shows a little above or below 30 mb/second. Some have CRAZY speed and post it all proud. I cannot afford anything more but this is plenty fast for me. Some might call mine "Dial up", roflmao.

Edgard C.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, no offense Edgard, I was joking more than anything else.

None taken friend. LMAO imagine what would they call mine haha AOL? remember that? :)
Anyways, I sent the box to Nintendo on Tuesday. Still waiting the verdict. I'll keep you guys posted.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyways, I sent the box to Nintendo on Tuesday. Still waiting the verdict. I'll keep you guys posted.
Is this the first case anyone has posted about with a borked Wii U (vWii or not) that someone has sent for repair? Nintendo's response could be interesting, as far as what get written on the repair note.
I do recall a German one posted some time ago that listed "hacking" or something and had a pricey charge on it.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this the first case anyone has posted about with a borked Wii U (vWii or not) that someone has sent for repair? Nintendo's response could be interesting, as far as what get written on the repair note.
I do recall a German one posted some time ago that listed "hacking" or something and had a pricey charge on it.
Some time ago in this forum there was a guy that bricked his vWii with Priiloader and Nintendo repaired it no problem.
I guess since the WiiU is their new system

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
My update took 49 minutes. But sometimes I wonder what happens if you have internet problems during the update. Like what happens if the router dies or dunno, the provider performs a small update and switche sit off for a few minutes (happens over here) or the power of the router just goes out. Is it the same as power out on the console or does it only install AFTER it was fully downloaded?

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No, the Wii U is very delicate. It's easy to brick it, just pull the power during the update. The problem is that Nintendo made the Wii U too delicate and didn't put in self-correction system. It needs something like SFC, system file checker, that windows has.

I'm pretty sre at least the Ps3 has a 2nd nand backup or something like that, that will prevent from it bricking if the console accidentally shuts off during an update.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Odd, I am not sure if you are wireless or wired. Some routers are touchy with settings. I stick to N for everything, and usually get great throughput. I know there are bigger and better. It works for now, no need to worry about updating. You pay for 30 MB/sec but rarely see anything above 3 MB/sec anyway. SOMETIMES certain sites fly. I could think of about 50 reasons for your slow download speed. So yeah, no offense Edgard, I was joking more than anything else.

EDIT: not that this is "great" but when I download like 10 different files I can get 1-2 MB/sec on all of them. They should say "Simultaneous throughput" to not deceive people. Of course, SpeedTest is an app I love. It shows a little above or below 30 mb/second. Some have CRAZY speed and post it all proud. I cannot afford anything more but this is plenty fast for me. Some might call mine "Dial up", roflmao.
You probably mean 30 MegaBITS not BYTES. 30Mbps (Megabits per second) is about 3MB/S (Megabyes per seconds)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They advertise 30 mb/second. I get nowhere near that "real world."
https://support.speedtest.net/entries/21057567-What-do-mbps-and-kbps-mean-

Correction, yeah, mbps to split hairs. But, I see the abbreviation error I made. 30,000 kbps, 3000 kB/s 30 mbps, 3 mB/sec. Yeah, oops, lol. Maybe I am still off but you were right. I can get that speed with a good # of downloads. Updates have taken me only a few minutes.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know, there is hope. I sent in a hacked system and received a new one back with no charge. (Although my system was not bricked, updating was defective)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out