Hacking Wii U Brew Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakuryu42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Bakuryu42 can you pm me contact details so I can call Nintendo? Because this is a way to long wait.

A quick search of the portal site and I have yet to find a number, I have found an email, but I am not sure if its different from the one you have already be conversing with. I pmed it to you.

I read yesterday somewhere that Nintendo would grant indie devs a free dev unit if they can't afford one. At least they said they don't want money to be the factor that hinders indies from developing for Wii U. Did you ask them if you can get a free one?

Can you link me to where you read this? Because that would be amazing.

Reactions: filfat

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People share dev kits. Look at pictures posted on Wiiuhax right before Harryoke posted the four horsemen info. Suspect right there, lmfao. Probably who did that video;-)

Bobbybangin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People share dev kits. Look at pictures posted on Wiiuhax right before Harryoke posted the four horsemen info. Suspect right there, lmfao. Probably who did that video;-)

Actually, GBAtemp is the source for the dev kit photos.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-developer-console-wont-boot-retail-disc-pics-help.358882/

via neogaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93056689

It's also been stated that what we seen in the video and the Wii U Hax/GBAtemp/neogaf photos is a test/debug unit. Dev kits come in metal cases, no optical drive and have a type B USB port.

Showing the dev kit in any fashion is against the NDA.

"Wii U devkits contain additional hardware. A daughter board with a dual core ARM CPU to interface with a development workstation. Though you probably wouldn't need a real devkit if you want to develop using Web Framework. In fact, you can develop and debug Web Framework applications on a regular Wii U using the web browser, at least to some extent. It supports remote debugging as well:" http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-i...functionality/

Internet Browser - Extended Functionality

Developer Mode - This feature available for Wii U System version 4.0.0U and above
Change user agent:
Changes can be made from the Wii U console's Internet Browser > Start Page > Settings.
Enable developer tools:
The developer tools can be enabled from the Wii U console's Internet Browser > Start Page > Settings.
Once enabled, you can use a browser on a PC on the same local network to inspect the code of any web page.
The developer tools work with Chrome [ver.30.0.1599.101m] and Safari [ver.6.0.3].

JennaScvl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source for devkit rules?
https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/signup/

You're going to have to go through the signup process to find out the requirements, just as I did. Though when I did it, the original Wii had just been released. There's a few webpages perpetuating a myth that a locked room in your house constitutes a secure office, but Nintendo actually has to inspect the premises to approve. Go ahead and apply, see what they say about a locked room in your house.

Bubba said the size of the "hack" and basically said he has it.

Then I hope for the sake of his reputation that he's not lying about that. I don't know him, but I've seen people make up stuff in the past about having something just because they're hopeful that it's true, and they want to try to legitimize the claim that it's true. Something is true or false independent of who says it, or how nice they are.

Bubba is very nice and passes on info.

Whether he's nice or not is irrelevant about whether or not he's been taken in by hoaxers.

Some info is true and some turns out to be false.

If his information is hit or miss, how is it reliable?

Psychologically he has no authority.

Psychologically? In actuality he has no authority, so people shouldn't be citing what Bubba says as evidence for whether or not it's true.

He has a reputation for passing on what he hears.

Ok? And how does this support the idea that the hack is not a hoax?

There is no authority fallicy.

It's "argument from false authority". An example of argument from false authority is "this weight loss system really works because that celebrity said so." Something is true or false independent of whether or not this, that, or the other celebrity says so. What's more, even if it was a doctor who specializes in weight loss, that's still a falacy, it's just "argument from authority" not "argument from false authority". Whether or not it works is independent of the qualifications of the person promoting it. If it works, then there should be evidence. "So'n'so said so" is "take So'n'so's word for it" and in no way constitutes an evidence based position.

Again, what is your source for the devkit being treated like hipaa material (close to it)?

Click the above link, go through the process. When my company went through it, Nintendo went over us with a fine toothed comb and wouldn't let us even lay eyes on a dev kit until we met all of their strict requirements.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Second point I agree with. It is on ps3hax and wiiu thread. Others searched for it and I am too lazy to find. Wait...http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=67142&page=21.

First point...fits with what others said. I did not see anything to indicate what you said is true with Nintendo devkit policies.

Edit: page 18, post 179. Read it as either he has it, or was only.told the size. Or, he says it works but is not aloud to say more. I can see some outs there if I am being honest.

Bobbybangin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fill out the app for yourself, go through the process, and get your own copy of the NDA

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com/signup/

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com/

Or more sources and quotes if you prefer...

“With the NDA process we used to require that you have an office, and we understand that people work from home and people work from an incubator or whatever. We've rescinded that requirement.

Now the requirement is simply to keep a dev kit safe, however you can do that and prove it to us. You don't necessarily need an office.

“So if you've heard about certain requirements that you feel you don't meet, come talk to us. Let us know your concerns and we'll try to figure out what we can do to help you develop on our platform.”

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ni...pproval-Process-NDAs-Certification-57860.html

And more proof within that pudding(it even details the dev who broke the NDA and got caught)...

http://www.laserlemming.com/2012/06/11/nintendos-silence-is-hurting-the-wii-u/

Reactions: Ray Lewis

JennaScvl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then they've obviously changed their criteria for getting access to a devkit. They used to be a lot more strict.

Still, this it's irrelevant. The fact that the "hack" has only been distributed on a devkit calls the whole thing into question. If the hack works on a non-devkit system, then why isn't it demonstrated on the non-devkit system instead? They showed us a channel installed to a system that by its very nature is supposed to be able to run unsigned channels, rather than the hack in operation.

Again, accepting the video as evidence is irrational.

1: A hack that works and is viable for us is one that works on a retail system.
2: If they have tried it and gotten it working on a retail system, then they have a retail system to demonstrate it on, and yet they used a devkit system.
3: A devkit needs no hacks to run an unauthorized channel.
4: We have no reason to believe that a hack for the devkit system would even work for the retail system or vice versa.

I want to see it running on a retail WiiU, not a devkit. If it works on a real WiiU and then they have tested it on such, and they should be able to demonstrate it. It's not an unreasonable demand, but to believe that it works based on a devkit video is an unreasonable belief.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone pointed that out the day the video came out. Thanks for summarizing it again. There was a point about devkit gamepad might be working on retail console. Without seeing the console that.cannot be confirmed or denied. Most members here believe it is fake. Bubba is the last gasp for this. As I had mentioned Bubba has a few outs to his post.

I've never seen him confirm to have something in his hand like this. Without specifics, he has shown pictures to confirm other pieces of info. You won't get anymore than what I just said. People saying he is a blatant liar must realize he passes on info and it is not always true. He may also say it does not work. That is an easy out. I may be interpreting his post wrong. Others might read it differently. That would be my fault there. As bobby pointed out I had info wrong. Only human;-)

Edit: I will say I've seen nothing on four horsemen "stuff." I meant other information I doubted him on.

Reactions: ddrrmm

Bobbybangin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You seem to have me confused with somebody who is arguing the validity of this. At this point, it's like trying to prove or disprove God. You're going to have people arguing both sides. I'm doing neither. I'm just posting good, valid facts. I'm patient and not emotionally tied to this.

When I posted this thread, I was under the impression that harryoke had a direct link to the anonymous source. If I had know the source was bubba, I probably wouldn't have posted it, but somebody would have. bubba has had the inside scoop before, but it was usually related to reDRM or an ODE piracy device. Then again, he's also made some outrageous claims that have proven false as well. I have my own reservations.

You've seemed to also miss a couple points that I was making. This could very well be a debug/testing unit rather than a devkit. If it is fake, then they went through a lot of unnecessary trouble obtaining a unit only to break the NDA. Especially considering that we know you don't necessarily need a dev kit to develop for the Wii U. They would have wasted a lot of money to purchase one and be forever shunned by Nintendo. Nintendo probably uses very strict rules to monitor these devices, very much like the policies Microsoft had in place, but later scrapped for the Xbox One.

All these, "why this, why that, why didn't they" inquiries aren't questions I can answer. To me, it would make more sense to hack with a devkit or debug/test unit. I also don't think that even though it's one or the other that it automatically makes it fake.

I offered facts, quotes, and posted links when you asked for them. I'm not here to argue this back and forth all night, just for the sake of arguing whether it's real or not.

Reactions: Lush and Ray Lewis

JennaScvl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, it's like trying to prove or disprove God.

Funny you should mention that... I've spent so much time debating that subject that it's kind of hard to get out of "show me the evidence" mode.

If it is fake, then they went through a lot of unnecessary trouble obtaining a unit only to break the NDA. Especially considering that we know you don't necessarily need a dev kit to develop for the Wii U.

Sure, but I'm imagining that it is probably fake and the person who did it is just a developer who has a dev kit and decided to prank the homebrew community. That they didn't get a devkit exclusively to prank everyone, but that they have it availible and therefore decided to prank everyone because they could. It's called "trolling".

They would have wasted a lot of money to purchase one and be forever shunned by Nintendo.

Nintendo has to know who it is before they can shun them. Heck the video even makes mention of the mii being covered up on the main menu for the sake of preventing Nintendo from knowing who they are.

Pardon me if I'm skeptical. If it weren't a devkit gamepad, I'd be all "awesome!" but since it is a devkit gamepad, I'm nonplussed and will believe it when it's out.

I'm also skeptical that a devkit gamepad can be synced to a retail system. It seems rather pointless to have an easily spotted difference on the gamepad otherwise. Heck, knowing Nintendo's usual paranoia, there's probably an extra layer of encryption on the video signal to the gamepad.

Bobbybangin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is probably fake...Pardon me if I'm skeptical... I'm nonplussed and will believe it when it's out...I'm also skeptical

Okay. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Again, I'm just stating facts. I'd like to see some other proof as well.

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
There are two reputable ppl saying it is real, and it could have been a devkit sync to a non dev kit system, we will see on monday.

Tell me who these so called reputable people are ?
I know there are reputable people, such as marcan and i believe comex, who say this is fake.

I'm considered an asshole in the PS3 scene, but reputable at the same time and I'm calling fake on this, if it had been real, there would have been a better video, they wouldn't have tried to hide parts of the control pad, there is so, so much more pointing to the falseness of this.

Reactions: NEP and Etheboss

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Weirder things have happened. Remember the Pandora battery on PSP? At one point, videos started popping up on YouTube where little Chinese "stores" were downgrading PSPs. People started shouting fake and wanted more detailed videos. Those came, and in one you could clearly see a guy swapping out a battery.

Then the Pandora release came. Turned out they were sitting on it for quite a while, just doing some more testing/foolproofing, but "their hand was forced" into releasing it as one person leaked (or maybe sold) a beta version. Then there was the Datel "Blue Lite Tool" battery that could put pandora-proofed PSP-2000s into service mode. That was supposedly fake too... Then the 'Gateway 3DS' that can run games in 3DS mode (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-first-3ds-flash-card.348671/) look at the "fake" shouts.

As you can see from both f0f and delroth's presentations, tendoNin left holes in their security. At some point, someone will duplicate f0f's work or find another way to do the same. In the mean time, I think it's wise to unlock your vWii and do not upgrade your firmware if you don't have to (e.g. when a game requires it and you absolutely want to play it like I did, you have to be willing to take the risk).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm calling fake on this, if it had been real, there would have been a better video, they wouldn't have tried to hide parts of the control pad, there is so, so much more pointing to the falseness of this.
Totally agree with you. the video displayed nothing, on the contrary they hide parts of it which is even more suspicious. There are better ways to announce a hack than a blurry-shadowy-mystery-video. (remember first PS3 dongle from OzModChip? or Gateway videos displaying proper screens and menus)

I'm waiting for their "release" announce to finally close this thread which leads nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @cearp, Interesting, considering that the USA has started to legalise cannabis in some states.