Wii Shop and softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NetSphereEngineer, Feb 14, 2013.

Feb 14, 2013

Wii Shop and softmod by NetSphereEngineer at 9:02 PM (7,121 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Newcomer NetSphereEngineer Member

Brazil
    Can someone help me please?

Can I download and play a simple game with my 1000 wii points just to test my virgin Wii and after that still softmod without problems?

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You can. The Wii shop is separate from the softmod, you can use it as much as you want before and after softmodding.

3. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    Oh thx a lot man! I was waiting in fear here!

The Wii is asking to update the Wii shop channel! Can I update it?

4. SuperrSonic

Member SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Puerto Rico
    Yes, it will update you to 4.3 you can still softmod with Letterbomb or a save game exploit, alternatively you can stay with your current system menu; softmod and install (with a homebrew tool) the latest Wii Shop Channel so that it doesn't tell you to update.

5. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    thx a lot man! I'm getting a demo right now!

EDIT: Also I'm messing around in some channels just to feel how a virgin Wii is before the softmod is there any problem? I installed a wii ware game with my 1000 wii points and I'm using the nintendo channel downloaded from the wii shop. When I have to make a copy of my nand should I leave this way or go to the settings and choose "Format Wii System Memory" to get a clean nand? what is safe thing to do here?

6. SuperrSonic

Puerto Rico
    You don't have to format, you can dump your nand with bought channels on it; won't make a difference.

7. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    That's nice! I was thinking that the nand backup had to be clean.

I know my internet connection sucks but I'm able to play online games on PC and watch youtube videos normally but the Youtube channel for Wii just sucks for me and the videos stop in the middle to load :( any ideas why? Can I do somethig on the router?

8. SuperrSonic

Puerto Rico
    I wouldn't know about that, works fine for me.

9. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Try loading youtube videos with WiiMC instead.

10. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    ok but this WiiMC open youtube like the youtube channel or it can only play .flv files?

in the site it says DVD playback! Can I put any movie dvd on the wii drive and it will read? Or because my wii is the new one and can't play backup games this will not work for movie dvd's even originals?

11. JoostinOnline

United States
    If your Wii is new, then there is no way you can play DVD's. Go to Online Media from WiiMC and search for a youtube video. See how playback compares to the Youtube channel.

12. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    OK I found some time to softmod my Wii and I manage to run Pandora Tower from a pendrive : )

Can I use the internet on my Wii now? Like use the Nintendo Channel, install channels from the Shop Channel for example the Internet Channel and other stuff. I deleted the Wireless connection just in case. But I believe that Priiloader and the options I checked will protect my Wii:

RECOMMENDED HACKS

Block Disc Updates
    Block Online Updates
    Replace Health Screen
    Move Disc Channel

Just asking cause I don't want to rush things and brick my Wii!

EDIT: OW Just saw that the letterbomb is still there can I leave it and it will be gone by itself? Can something bad happens If I open it by mistake? My guess is no but you never know. better safe than sorry : )

13. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    You can use the Internet any time you want, especially since you have those PriiLoader hacks turned on.

Don't worry about the letterbomb. All it will do if you click it is try to run the file boot.elf you have in your SD card. You probably still have the homebrew channel installer there which shouldn't do any harm if it's accidentally run but if you're worried about it you can just delete that file and/or your private folder off of the SD card. (the private folder is where any messages/channels/saves you transfer to the SD card end up, including letterbomb)

14. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    OK thx a lot man! The internet is workin on my Wii again. But how about the Nintendo Channel? They ask you if you want to receive commercial messages on the message board can I accept that? I also recall that they ask to see the contents of my message board to see what I'm playing and stuff can I accept that too or they will see the usb loader there and get crazy? I think not but better safe than sorry! gosh I'm like the guy on the Left 4 Dead series : )

EDIT: Are you sure that I can install the Internet Channel and other stuff at the original Wii shop? I think I saw some sites giving instructions in how to install channels like the internet channel from wads to avoid use the original wii shop

15. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Basically there's NOTHING you can't do with a hacked Wii on the Internet that you can do with a virgin Wii on the Internet. Updates are blocked by PriiLoader. That's all that matters. Just go have fun.

16. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    ok thx now I'm more confident! Just downloaded the internet channel and it's working! Well it's not great but I wanted to test it.

17. JoostinOnline

United States
    There's one thing, that will cause a softmodded Wii to turn into Andy Dick and drive anyone within its proximity to die from sever blood-loss through the eyes and ears. I can't remember what it is, but I think it involve internet feature. Or maybe it doesn't.

But don't worry about it, you should be fine.

18. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
  19. NetSphereEngineer
    OP

Brazil
    Another doubt!

Modmii installed the Configurable USB-Loader and a forwarder so I can go directly to it. Now I have a question can I just delete the forwarder using the same place I use to delete original wii channels on data management>channels? is it safe? I just want to use homebrew apps if there are any risks!

I'm using the USB Loader GX with it's own forwarder now and I just want to get rid of the ugly old one!

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    It's safer to uninstall the channel with the wad.