Wii Settings Brick - Check Firmware Version?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Flamey87, Oct 15, 2009.

Oct 15, 2009
  1. Flamey87
    OP

Newcomer Flamey87 Member

Canada
    A friend of mine has a mod chipped Wii, and accidentally updated it with what he thought was an NTSC game. His Wii Settings option is now bricked, and he doesn't know what firmware version he has. I want to use a game disc to update the Wii, but I know that if the update is below the Wii's firmware version, it'll screw it up further. Is there any way to check the Wii's version, without going to the Wii Settings? Will the Game disc not ask for an update if the Wii has a higher firmware version? Do mod chipped consoles skip update checks by default, and if so, how do I work around that? The homebrew channel is not installed.

2. Bosk666

Newcomer Bosk666 Member

Germany
    mmmm
    can you run homebrew on this wii ?

try to install homebrewchannel with twilight hack or bannerbomb

run AnyTitle Deleter with the database.txt file

in think then you can see which system menu is installed

then make a wad with the nus downloader of the right system menu
    and install it with a wadmanager

3. boof222

Member boof222 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    you have most likely been region bricked
    but he cant instal hbc through bannerbomb because it uses the wii settings try smash stack or indiana pwns to intall hbc
    then as said above download and reinstall your system menu
    (i have never been bricked where you cant acess the settings i have only been semibricked so i dont know if you can acess saves aswell if u can then just do wat the above guy said)

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Flamey87

A friend of mine has a mod chipped Wii, and accidentally updated it with what he thought was an NTSC game. His Wii Settings option is now bricked, and he doesn't know what firmware version he has. I want to use a game disc to update the Wii, but I know that if the update is below the Wii's firmware version, it'll screw it up further.
    Is there any way to check the Wii's version, without going to the Wii Settings?
    Preloader or HBC can tell you

Will the Game disc not ask for an update if the Wii has a higher firmware version?
    Exactly

Do mod chipped consoles skip update checks by default, and if so, how do I work around that?
    No they don't otherwise your friend would've never updated "accidentaly"

The homebrew channel is not installed.
    Then install it, you cannot enter into the Options/Settings but you can definetely go into the Data Management for sure, so run BannerBomb with HackMii Installer 0.6 to install HBC, search for a guide on "HOW TO INSTALL A cIOS" and then use Wad Manager to install a SysMenu.wad for your friend's Wii region or better yet, if he has internet conection, then he can just run any Waninkoko's Firmware Updater to get the SysMenu back to its original...!! [​IMG]

5. Ramzee

Newcomer Ramzee Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I thought from the reports here that Waninkoko's 4.1 Firmware Updater was installing the latest IOS60 v6400 (stub) with the 4.1 System Menu and causing a few people to brick their wii's.

I think it's better to do it by hand and follow one of the guides here.

6. Flamey87
    OP

Newcomer Flamey87 Member

Canada
    Alright, thank you guys! This helped a lot, I'll try everything.

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The guy can't run BannerBomb without a working system menu. Unless it's just the settings screen that got bricked... didn't think that would happen with a region brick.

8. muck chucker

Member muck chucker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if he has the homebrew channel can he not just use NUSD and wad manager to install the correct system menu.

Whoops didmt read all of the second post sorry