OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys,

If the contents of un-used sectors a cleaned (as such), surely Nintendo could
simply check the un-used section of the disc for signed data and if its not there
ie. there disc is clean (as such) then don't play the disc.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but to me it seems a simply thing to implement with an
update, and then all the discs have been "Scrubber" are useless.

Am I wrong ?

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Thought about that and thats why I'm going to change the routine slightly to fill the file with a valid sector instead of 0xFFs

PSXDupe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dack

So should everyone hold off using the current version.

Surely all sector are encrypted. To make is more compressible you need to insert a
non-encrypted sector, and, could Nintendo not check to see if the sector is encrypted.

All they would need to do it check a random unused sector

Thanks mate, deadly work

PSXDupe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about that, just seem the other topic with pretty much the same questions.

I will watch that for updates, thanks

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what ive heard the fill data is not even signed, if so then it wouldnt matter ?? Also, what of the puzzle quest iso? Is that already filled with 0xFFs ? as it was compressible without scrubber.

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Puzzle quest was already filled with data which meant it compressed without being "scrubbed". There are 4 files in the image that are padding to all intents and purposes.

Just sent an email with version 1.0a anyways which keeps the crypto header data intact. This means you lose some of the compression but you gain in having random crypto headers.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks for the explanation
smile.gif

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
No problems.

The other nice effect of having random crypto headers is the master Sha block check should still be intact so it would be less likely to be detected.

bunsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are plenty of checks Nintendo could do to detect flashcard usage on the NDS, yet they don't. I wouldn't hold my breath that they do on the Wii either.

ricdanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm worrying about one thing: detection.
If Nintendo checks for the dummy zeros on the DVD they can easily find that it is a scrubbed illegal release.
So, why not make a new "unscrubber" that adds random garbage to that sectors.
It doesn't have to be the same "garbage" as the original, just make it random.
It will be harder for Nintendo to detect the scrub. While on the current approach all it takes is to detect large chunks of the same characters on a sector, this way they will have to know exactly what was the garbage there and check that the "new" garbage is not the same.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
ricdanger said:
Hmm, I think that they would either check properly or not check at all. I can't see them being fooled by something that vaguely looks right.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
All this worrying over something Nintendo probably won't do. It is a waste of their time, and probably yours. All to save some hard drive space...Hard drives are not that expensive. I got like 100 games ripped myself just sitting there all ISO format not compressed. It takes too long and I can't be bothered. And to scrub all my discs for it to be _possibly_ a complete waste seems useless to me.

Though it's a cool idea, I just won't use it.

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
ricdanger said:
If Nintendo checks for the dummy zeros on the DVD they can easily find that it is a scrubbed illegal release.
It will be harder for Nintendo to detect the scrub. While on the current approach all it takes is to detect large chunks of the same characters on a sector, this way they will have to know exactly what was the garbage there and check that the "new" garbage is not the same.

The problem with putting random data there is that it then would not compress
smile.gif

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought it would be a good idea if someone made an 'UnScrubber' which would restore the file to its original state. That way, the size for download and storage would be smaller, but shouldn't be detectable... Or is this not possible? (If not, store the garbage data separately, and have it for download if needed)

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Thats whats in the 1.1 version
smile.gif
A reconstruct if you have the garbage data mode.

Just a few things to tweak before release (hopefully tomorrow)

ricdanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dack said:
ricdanger said:

The problem with putting random data there is that it then would not compress
smile.gif

Hi Dack.
My thought was like this:
- Take the full game
- Scrub it like you do with 1.0a
- Compress it

Then, to burn it:
- Decompress it
- Run some kind of "unscrubber" that replace that large chunks of the same character inserted by the scrubber with random data. Better if you can do random data that looks similiar to the normal ones, but that you can generate locally. So, not totally equal to the original, but still random
- Burn.

The scrubbed release would be the same size.
It would only take an extra step for the ones who prefer to be safe. To the others, they can keep using the regular process without running the "unscrubber".

In the current state, all it takes for Nintendo to detect a scrubbed release is to check the unused sectors for large chunks of the same character. A sector full of zeros would look really suspicious, I guess. And given that all releases/game would have the same characteristics and the same padron, it would be very easy for then to shut them off.
In my proposed idea, Nintendo has to know exactly what garbage was on that sector on the original disk, and as far as I know there is no way to know that given that there is no hash for each sector (am I right?) and not all garbage sectors look the same. Only the game itself would be able to do this. But as far as I know, current games do not check for this. And even if they do in the future, we can use trucha signer to disable the check.
But if Nintento is able to check this with the firmware (and as I said, it seems very easy for them to look up for your "scrubbed" sectors, given that they are clearly different than anything else on a Wii disk), it would be harder given that there isn't a way to modify the firmware.

hOTzENpLOTz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Interesting idea. But for the record: I think it is much more likely that Nintendo fixes the bug, that the Trucha Signer exploits rather than trying to search for scrubbed images. But than again, I may be wrong... time will tell
rolleyes.gif

PSXDupe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does matter what data you put in there, Nintendo (IF THEY WANTED) could pick
a sector that is not in use and check the contents of that sector.

All they need to do is pick 1 random unused sector and check it. It would take
milliseconds to do the check, and then they can stop the disc from loading.

They only safe way is to resign each disc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)