Wii reading DVDs at 3x

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mikezila, Feb 23, 2009.

Feb 23, 2009

Wii reading DVDs at 3x by mikezila at 3:02 AM (2,186 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I'm curious about what exactly is stopping homebrew from being able to read discs at 6x speed? I'm getting into powerpc assembler (lots of x86 habbits need to be broken, arg) and it seems like a good cause to work towards, as a lot of the problems with the backup loaders that exist now seem to stem from the low read speed.

Is it something that can be fixed with software, or is it something lower-level?

2. telefunkin

Newcomer telefunkin Advanced Member

Canada
    the only way to improve on 3x would be to hack the dvd drive's firmware.

3. trancepara

Member trancepara GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you would have searched, you would have realized this has been asked a LOT.

You can't do it. The firmware of the drive is what limits it to 3x and it can't be touched by homebrew. :/

4. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Short answer -

Non-rewritable chip on the board that's set up to enable dvd access at lower speed (3x) because it was originally coded for video and 3x is more than enough for video so they (nintendo) didn't bother upping it since all it would help would be to promote piracy once DVD video support was yanked due to licensing.

5. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  6. Ajax

Newcomer Ajax Member

United States
    I'm pretty sure this question hs been answered several billion times already, but meh...

The reason why all backup loaders read at 3x is entirely because of the DVD drive firmware, and the way it TOTALLY locks itself in 3x mode when reading standard DVDs.

So, unfortunately it is not something that can be fixed in software (unless you find a magic way to reflash the dvd drive from the Wii itself.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

7. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    In what way does the Wii determine the disk is a WOD or a DVD?

8. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    The lines or bar codes of the WOD.

You can't duplicate them AFAIK.

EDIT: And.... NOT ANOTHER ONE!

9. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    Aside from having a weird partition layout there doesn't seem to be much physical difference between a Wii disk and a normal DVD of the same density.

Does anyone know what kind of check the drive performs to check media type? Is it actually checking something on the disk, or is it just checking to see if it's pressed/non-pressed media? It has to be some kind of software marker, else nintendo would have set the drive to not be able to read DVDs at all once piracy happened.

10. afif95

Malaysia
    No, as I said, it's the bars, the code things.

Nintendo gives Game devs a special burner (or presser), they use that to burn (press) WODs.

And don't waste your time trying to dupe WODs/hack DVD Drive's firmware.

It just won't work (except if you stole the special burner)

11. yumdoritos

Newcomer yumdoritos Member

United States
    I'm no expert by any means, so don't laugh at me for me naivety. But maybe this could be a way to fix it.

Since the problem is that the Wii recognizes back-ups at DVD and DVD drive firmware TOTALLY locks it to 3x speed, than instead of trying to alter the firmware, which seems impossible, try to not let the Wii see the back-up as a DVD, but a WOP.

Is there any way to make the Wii look at DVDs as WOP via homebrew/hacks? Perhaps stopping the Wii from checking the type of media at all, and just looking at all media as WODs.

Again, excuse my naivety.

12. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I hardly call doing research into this wasted time. Though it does seem that finding a way around this rather than through it would be more practical.

I've never managed to crack anything like this before anyways. I spent a lot of time in high school trying to dupe the authentication track of sega saturn games, but only ever got one single burn to work, and I bricked a cd burner in the process.

Maybe once BootMii comes out we can see about perhaps using an external drive to run the games, or a more reliable ISO loader from an external USB source.

13. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    If the check is done by the drive itself, then there really isn't any way to step in and fool it. Though I could be wrong. I need to do some more research on the disk checkup process. Wish I had a way to observe this happening.

14. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    You are probably right, the audiofix for Game Cube games is done by the drive itself, the drive mod chips have to inject code into the firmware for the audiofix to work.

15. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    the whole problem can be solved in quite an easy way. you just need a gun! why? read this small story:

16. SilverSurfR

Member SilverSurfR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wonder how long before this one gets closed too...

Honestly if 6x is really that important to someone, they should buy a chip.

Complaining about 3x speed is the same as complaining that your fucking Prius doesn't put out 200 horsepower. You're saving money on gas, just like you're saving money not buying a chip.

17. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    lol, yeah I complain to myself my 1.6 only kicks out 124bhp [​IMG] 120mph, stupid K series Engines
    like I said in a previous post, why is their all these complaints, Iv'e not seen anything like it before.
    If you get something for free, you should be happy and merry, when it doesn't work it doesn't work, no need to moan about it.

18. afif95

Malaysia
    I am sorry, but it is in fact a wasted time.

I wouldn't spend months of research just to get what I can right now, and only spending a few bucks.

19. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    then again, mikezila, if you really duped a saturn track, then by all means, please, go do this for the rest of us.

edit: oh....and figure out how to do that again, so I can burn saturn games and not have to disc swap.....cuz then I'd give you some sexy love.....maybe.
    okay I lied....I will just probably think it is cool....no sexy love this time.

edit again...: I'm chuckling inside at all the young people who are gonna have to go look through google now to try and understand what was difficult about dupe-ing the "saturn ring"......ahhh the good ole days of taking a sampler and circular saw and supergluing a ring to a backup.....sigh...

20. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The security check on the wii is the same system used by the GC It's self. The disks are pressed with a special bar code that tells the drive exactly how to read it. The Backup launcher actually uses a feature that was built into the drive for video playback purpose. The system was intended to support DVD Playing. This feature was abandoned do to license issues..... Why N left the video mode in the drive is beyond me........ Regardless the loaders exploit this feature to bypass the security checks. unfortunately do to the bypass the wii doesn't recognize the disk as a WOD But rather a DVD and therefore forces the drive to run at only 3x. There is no way to bypass the security check and allow the system to see the disk as a WOD without a modchip. The check is all performed in the DVD Drive and therefore it has no comunication with the system to determine the disk type, because of that there is no way a homebrew app on the system can spoof the drivechip response to the drive. In short there is no way in hell to do it with software. (Unless you are able to find a way to modify the wii's drive firmware) Believe me I've tried forever to manage to bypass the checks on the Gamecube and every attempt be me and many other always resulted the same........... Failure........ So if you wish to chase a dream and work for it then be my guest but I assure you you will fall short.