alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Been a while and after days and nights of [lazy] searching I've decided to ask.

My problem:
My Wii console corrupts somewhat randomly, some I know what to avoid.

1.) Loading game from Disc Channel, crash.
2.) Settings menu, crash. (Makes me think semi-brick, but it only recently happened, and haven't been playing out-of-region games recently, which is when this happened.)
3.) SD Card menu, crash. (Sometimes when opening it, sometimes I can pass through, but once I try to leave, "System Files are Corrupted."
4.) Booting channels, or only the Homebrew Channel right now, crash. (Booting via Bootmii for now.)
5.) Wii Sports Resort (Retail) randomly doesn't save and brings me back to the Wii Menu.
6.) Trying to update to maybe fix these corruptions doesn't work.
--a.) Settings blocked when not in Maintenance Mode.
--b.) While in Maintenance Mode, I can't set up a connection due to some WiiConnect24 error, because I'm in M.M.
--c.) Game updates freeze: The bar fills up [fast] and stays really close to the end, and never moves.
--d.) Waninkoko updaters don't want to cooperate with me.... T_T
7.) Tried System Format, FROZE (ithink) and didn't do anything, when I came back, most channels were gone(duh). (Can easily get HBC back.)

This didn't us with a rented New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but with the Wii Sports Resort we got, it started bugging me with the save bug. (Loaded BootMii->HBC->GeckoOS, since the Disc Channel gives an error.)
The only solution I thought of using now is to "revirginize" the Wii. (Something I found while searching.) Tried reinstalling system menu wad already.
I'm looking for other solutions before I do this.
P.S. WSR is the only game giving me save problems.

Excuse me if I missed something obvious to try.
Thanks to you all, in advance. I sorta missed this community. (But I might forget this after, and go back to osu! P:) (Gonna go see what I missed this Tempmas. :

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a NAND Backup from the wii from before it went corrupt? If so, restore it.

QUOTE said:
Currently on what might be a half-4.1U. Not sure, settings says so, but the safe firmware updater messed up :< Maybe it's cause of going 4.2U to 4.1U. >_>
Download the latest non-stubbed IOSes with NUS Downloader and install with wad manager. Be sure IOS60 is v6174 (v6400 is a stub and will brick your wii).

QUOTE said:
Tried reinstalling system menu wad already.
If you reinstalled the system menu from a wad and nothing changed, the menu likely isn't the issue. Did you try reinstalling IOS60?

QUOTE said:
--d.) Waninkoko updaters don't want to cooperate with me.... T_T
Not surprised. Be glad you didn't brick. The 4.0 and 4.1 updaters are brickware, and the 4.2 updater is poorly designed and patches all your IOSes.

QUOTESD Card menu, crash.
Is bannerbomb still on the SD? If so, take the SD out and see if the menu loads.

The only solution I thought of using now is to "revirginize" the Wii.
That's not likely to help. That mostly consists of deleting the cIOSes, all custom channels, the HBC, and exploits, then officially updating it.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well if I were you I'd reinstall the whole system menu including the IOSes (look into the 4.2 update section of this guide), whatever is wrong will probably be fixed (unless it's a hardware issue, that'd need some technical service). If something goes wrong you can always restore a bootmii backup, so the risk is almost zero.

Also I know it's offtopic, but with osu! you mean that EBA clone, right? It's a pretty fun game
biggrin.gif
it's a shame it didn't work with my bro's tablet pc, it would have been awesome to play with it
frown.gif

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, thanks to you both, but the IOS60 didn't help, gonna try the full restore.

(And yes, osu! is that. I played with my tablet before the pen broke, might get a new one soon, so sticking to mapping. Try again though, it now has OpenGL[somewhat better compatibility] and Low-End PC mode to get it working on all those older computers. Don't forget .NET)

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*bump* (sorry for double post) Status update.

It didn't work, I went through all the IOSs for 4.2U and it still gives me an error at the Settings, which probably means they're all still corrupted.

Is this a potential hardware problem? I've heard Nintendo offers to give another Wii to these people, but I'm willing to try any solution to prevent sending to Nintendo.

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so, I was using IOS249 since long ago, but I haven't touched the priiloader/preloader install. I waited and used only BootMii.

NOTE:

Got the Disc Channel to load games again.
Mii Channel doesn't work...might have never.
HBC same System Files problem, works through BootMii.
Settings in Maintenance Mode corrupts now. (The Settings option under Settings in the Wii Menu)
Now randomly corrupted after moving channels around.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
That's odd... I don't know if it's much help, but you can configure some Wii settings using Wii Config if you can't access the Settings option.

Now if you think about it, if the error says that your System Files are corrupted, but you replaced your IOSes with ones that are confirmed to work, then it means the problem is in OTHER system file... I'm not really familiar with that, but you should use AnyTitleDeleter to see all the system files, and after you know which they are you could ask here which of those are safe to reinstall (but don't touch boot1/boot2! you'd need that in case you reinstall something you shouldn't have and mess things up even more!) Now like I said I'm not familiar with system files, so I'm just guessing here...

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
davidsl_128 said:
That's odd... I don't know if it's much help, but you can configure some Wii settings using Wii Config if you can't access the Settings option.
bumpish, but that gives be a CODE DUMP like half a second into the music of the app.

And I'll look into the other files, just have to go through them all maybe?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc