Hardware Wii Powers On Red and Powers Off Immediately...

dabest80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am working on a family member's Wii. It has been serviced once in the past 16 months by NOA for the exact same issue. I think they told my brother it was a bad fan or something. My family has asked me to try to fix it if possible. This Wii has never been modified, so this problem just occurred on its own. First off, I want everyone to know that I have tried all of the Nintendo Support suggested fixes, and I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this. I have tested it on different working Power Supplies and different working outlets, and I still have no luck. Before anyone posts the typical posts that involve any of these things, please don't bother.

I'm looking for some highly technical knowledge into what the problem is and what are the possible fixes. If any technicians out there have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I have already made the decision that I'm going to attempt to fix it if possible. We can not justify spending $75 to $90 for Nintendo to do the repairs if it's something that I can do.

The Wii has a Red light that remains on until Eject or Power is pushed. Then, the Wii sounds like it tries to boot on, but then it all Powers off. There are no more lights or anything until a complete A/C reset is done on the Wii for like 60-90 secs.

Here are some possibilities:

1) Possible jammed disc situation in the Wii (won't eject because it won't hold power long enough)
- Can this cause the Wii to Power On and Off immediately?

2) Possible overheating or bad fans
- Does the Wii system fans have a sensor that prevents it to power on if it's burned out?

3) Possible heatsink or CPU issue
- Does this happen very often?

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear your responses. Please help us! :-)

PartyMon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dabest80 said:
I am working on a family member's Wii. It has been serviced once in the past 16 months by NOA for the exact same issue. I think they told my brother it was a bad fan or something. My family has asked me to try to fix it if possible. This Wii has never been modified, so this problem just occurred on its own. First off, I want everyone to know that I have tried all of the Nintendo Support suggested fixes, and I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this. I have tested it on different working Power Supplies and different working outlets, and I still have no luck. Before anyone posts the typical posts that involve any of these things, please don't bother.

I'm looking for some highly technical knowledge into what the problem is and what are the possible fixes. If any technicians out there have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I have already made the decision that I'm going to attempt to fix it if possible. We can not justify spending $75 to $90 for Nintendo to do the repairs if it's something that I can do.

The Wii has a Red light that remains on until Eject or Power is pushed. Then, the Wii sounds like it tries to boot on, but then it all Powers off. There are no more lights or anything until a complete A/C reset is done on the Wii for like 60-90 secs.

1) Possible jammed disc situation in the Wii (won't eject because it won't hold power long enough)

- Does the Wii system fans have a sensor that prevents it to power on if it's burned out?

4. Broken Power Supply?
5. Faulty Power Cable?

just some suggestions, just because its getting some juice doesnt mean its getting the proper amount.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said he already tried a different, good, power supply.

What happens if you try holding eject while turning it on?

dabest80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PartyMon said:
dabest80 said:

4. Broken Power Supply?
5. Faulty Power Cable?

just some suggestions, just because its getting some juice doesnt mean its getting the proper amount.

I tried that already. Unless it's an internal power source or bad capacitors failing, the external power supply is not the problem.

dabest80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozguy said:
He said he already tried a different, good, power supply.

What happens if you try holding eject while turning it on?

As soon as I push Eject to begin holding it down, the Wii tries to boot on, and then it goes down. I lose all lights completely. I have to do an A/C reset to get the RED light to come back on the Wii. This is apparently a known problem with the Wii because it's been repaired once by NOA. Honestly, I think they did a full replacement of the Wii. But, the same thing happened again.

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking as a computer technician, you are correct it is most likely a hardware issue. If I understand you correctly, the Wii makes the drive access noises before it powers off, that could mean that it is failing the test on the drive and that is making it shut down, so possible bad drive. That is assuming there is not a disc stuck causing the issue. You would have to disassemble the drive to double check that though.

If it is not the drive there is possibly a short on the board. This is difficult to troubleshoot without continuity testing equipment and a schematic, even then it is hit or miss unfortunately. If there is a partial charge going you can get a false positive.

I would personally rule out a power supply issue, because if you get any response from it, it means it is getting power. The fan is a possibility if it is part of the boot check. This is easy enough to test, next time you power it on see if the fan spins at all, it should kick on automatically. If it does not, give it a tap to see if it is just stuck.

Short of something crazy like dead NAND or a CPU short... you should be able to isolate the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.