Hardware Wii not working - Cannot find my problem on Google

Dougal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi guys & gals ... This is my first post here.

I'm no noob to Nintendo's, actually I'm a huge fan and have got loads of original Gameboys, Colors, Pockets, Light, GBA's, GBA SP's, Micro, DS, DSL, DSI, XL, 3DS, NES, SNES, Famicom, N64, Gamecube and Wii :P

Thankfully my Wii which I bought at launch still works great.

But I have another Wii, original model in white which my brother gave me because it was broken. I have had it for about 4 years but never managed to fix it :(

The symptom:

Plug in and the power light comes red
Press power button and light becomes blue + disc light comes on blue and stays lit
.... At this stage the screen remains black, no sound from disc drive and it won't accept discs. The disc drive light stays on

What i've tried:

Tried the power supply and cables from my working Wii
...... Makes no difference

Opened up the Wii and disconnected the disc drive
..... No difference

Unplugged the Wifi module and tested with and without it connected
...... No difference

Switch on Wii and immediately press reset
..... No difference

Tried some ZIP file I downloaded and copied to an SD card and switched on the Wii
..... No difference

According to my brother the Wii had a mod chip installed but when the Wii died (suddenly) he blamed it on the disc drive. He bought a replacement drive which is the one that is currently installed. A modchip cannot be installed on this drive due to the epoxy/glue over the chips. He lost the original drive with the modchip.

I'd love to get this Wii to function again, not because I need it as I have my original Wii but because I hate seeing it like that.

I'd really appreciate some help here as I cannot find anything on google with the symptoms of Black screen, cannot accept discs, solid blue disc drive light remaining on.

Dougal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Also I forgot to add,

The Fan is not spinning either.

So, plug in Wii and red power light comes on.

Press power button or eject button and the power light turns to ON
(If I attempt to insert a disc into the Wii the power light also turns on)

Black screen, fan not spinning and no sound from the disc drive. The blue light round the disc drive turns on and stays on.

To turn off I have to hold the power button for around 5 seconds and it turns off again.

After some time switched on the Wii does get warm but not hot.

Do you think its a hardware issue or a software issue ?

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Clearly its a hardware issue and possibly you will need a new PCB/Mainboard. But definitely its not a software issue IMO

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
do u check the bluetooth module? iambot expert but if one part like bt/wifi module not work wii not boot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro