Hardware Wii no longer reads any game legit or not.

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had the Wiikey v.1 for about over a year and a half. I've been able to play any burned game and all of my legit games (about 8).

I was playing Sonic Unleashed yesterday and in the middle of playing there was an error stating that it cannot read the disc, so naturally I reinserted the game and it said to eject the disc and reboot the wii read the manual etc. bs. Which I have seen that error before but rarely, so I turned the Wii off and put Super Mario Galaxy in. It works fine I played it for a while and then tried Sonic Unleashed again and it gave me the same error after playing the game for a bit.

So I tried some other burned games and they worked ok for about 10 minutes then the Wii would not recognize any upon inserting them. No picture would show up in the disc channel. So I tried all of my legit games and none load at all. I figure maybe the wiikey just gave out but I don't know what to do about my legits not working. You guys think my drive or laser/lense is shot?
unsure.gif

Wiikey 1.9s
Wii 3.2U
I use Verbatim -R since I first got the wiikey back year and a half ago. Never had a prob great DVD's.

I have tried the backup loader 0.3 gamma channel with the IOS install. It has an error stating it cannot read the DVD.

Thanks for those of you who can lead me in the right direction.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Can't really offer much help.

But my Wii has recently developed this problem with SSBB (legit game, unmodded Wii)
I know in my situation it is because a small percentage of Wiis can develop problems reading Brawl (because it is a on dual layer dvd) and it can cause the Wii to have trouble recognizing other standard Wii games.

Luckily NOA offers to repair consoles that have problems with Brawl free of charge.
I'd assume it's the easiest way to get the laser replaced/cleaned, however you'd have to remove evidence of voiding the warranty (modchip)

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
My recommendation:

Don't play it for a day. Open it up to make sure the mod chip and wires are okay. If it's still not working, take the mod chip off and send it to Nintendo for repairs. They won't bug you about evidence of modding (or you'd be landmark first case!) but should charge $30 for drive repairs.

Sounds like a drive problem. If you're technical you can try adjusting the lazer but fuck that, this isn't a PSX.

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
My recommendation:

Don't play it for a day. Open it up to make sure the mod chip and wires are okay. If it's still not working, take the mod chip off and send it to Nintendo for repairs. They won't bug you about evidence of modding (or you'd be landmark first case!) but should charge $30 for drive repairs.

Sounds like a drive problem. If you're technical you can try adjusting the lazer but fuck that, this isn't a PSX.

lol no doubt, I'm not gonna adjust the laser although I will take out the mod chip and take it in to Nintendo for sure in that case since its only $30.
I only live like 1 hour and a half drive away from Nintendo so I'll take my Wii there when I have time. I might as well bring my girlfriends DSL in too its kinda wacked also.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

invisable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had the Same problem with my wii last year First my wii would Prefer backups and some orignals wouldn't read games like Mario strikers, game started then came up with error until eventuallywouldnt read anything at all. Turnned out it was the wii drive that went Faulty.
Dont know why it happen maybe because i was usind tdk dvd+r for backups and they were quite heavy disks ?
managed to get a brand new one on eBay without PCB board so could keep the d2b chip set and wiikey and drive was cheaper.
If you can get the wii to read the wiikey setup disk would try dropping read speed down to 3x and turning region override of then on again. Cant do any harm Good luck!

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
invisable said:
I had the Same problem with my wii last year First my wii would Prefer backups and some orignals wouldn't read games like Mario strikers, game started then came up with error until eventuallywouldnt read anything at all. Turnned out it was the wii drive that went Faulty.
Dont know why it happen maybe because i was usind tdk dvd+r for backups and they were quite heavy disks ?
managed to get a brand new one on eBay without PCB board so could keep the d2b chip set and wiikey and drive was cheaper.
If you can get the wii to read the wiikey setup disk would try dropping read speed down to 3x and turning region override of then on again. Cant do any harm Good luck!

That's cool you were able to get the drive replaced at a low price. How did you find out the drive was faulty?

I can sometimes get Mario Kart to work but it is very seldom. I tried a couple of Wiikey setup disks and they both didn't work. If I can get it to run I will try turning the region override off and then on again, and drop the disk speed to 3x.

QUOTE(Rammoth @ Dec 11 2008, 10:44 AM) Also, if you decide to not play it for a while, make sure you unplug the electricity.

I still play with everything else on the Wii, for now some wiiware mostly N64 games and emu's on the HBC. Thanks for the tip though, it would save me a few bucks on my electric bill.

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, no I mean that it often helps to take off the electricity entirely to fix it up.

Usually even 5 seconds will do. It also says so in the wii manual. Don't ask me why, but it helps for more stuff such as laptops/modems not working.

Might want to give it a try.

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao mah bad, I did try that when it first happened and it helped out ironically.
I just unplugged the Wii for about 5 minutes and put my original Wii Sports in and no go.
It just gave me the unable to read disk error.

At random I get the black screen error.
tv.jpg

I cant open my Wii until I get my tri-wing screwdriver in the mail so it might be a while. When it arrives I can check the wiikey and its connection/wiring for any problems.

I think my drive is fubar'd though.

radionds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, I had the same problem, with my wii, the problem was the laser, I had to replace it.
But, my wii is not reading SSBB DVD9 anymore, that's the only problem.
But try to take it to someone who know how to change the laser, and it will work fine.

invisable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That's cool you were able to get the drive replaced at a low price. How did you find out the drive was faulty?

I can sometimes get Mario Kart to work but it is very seldom. I tried a couple of Wiikey setup disks and they both didn't work. If I can get it to run I will try turning the region override off and then on again, and drop the disk speed to 3x.

The drive was about £30 (English pounds) not sure what that works out in dollars but it was cheapest i could find. My drive started to make funny ticking noises, Think it was a motor problem! Seem to be worse on games with alot going on!
I remember reading somewhere that turnning the wii on its side can sometimes help.
Hopefully its something simply. I know if you have a bad solder joint on your wiikey and can stop the wii reading disks as it happened to me when i install a wiikey on d2b with cut legs on a friends wii. We didnt dremmel the chip enough and the wii would read games as soon as you turnned it on then after a minute it would come up with black error screen
Do you know what chipset you have? I have read if you have the d2b version without cut legs the if you send it back to nintendo for repair then they cut the legs of the chip which makes it harder to install the wiikey again.

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
radionds said:
Man, I had the same problem, with my wii, the problem was the laser, I had to replace it.
But, my wii is not reading SSBB DVD9 anymore, that's the only problem.
But try to take it to someone who know how to change the laser, and it will work fine.

The drive makes really loud noises when I try to get it to read discs so I think it may be more than a laser problem. It just started making these noises when the DRE started btw.

QUOTE(invisable @ Dec 15 2008, 10:24 AM) My drive started to make funny ticking noises, Think it was a motor problem! Seem to be worse on games with alot going on!
I remember reading somewhere that turnning the wii on its side can sometimes help.
Hopefully its something simply. I know if you have a bad solder joint on your wiikey and can stop the wii reading disks as it happened to me when i install a wiikey on d2b with cut legs on a friends wii. We didnt dremmel the chip enough and the wii would read games as soon as you turnned it on then after a minute it would come up with black error screen
Do you know what chipset you have? I have read if you have the d2b version without cut legs the if you send it back to nintendo for repair then they cut the legs of the chip which makes it harder to install the wiikey again.

I did the Serial Tracker because I forgot which chipset I have so, it says...

There is a 35% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2B
and a 65% chance that it is a GC2-DMS.

I definitely don't want Nintendo to do that so I might consider to replace the drive. That is really cheap, everywhere I look for drives they are at least $150 and some are premodded for $200 +

superfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had the same problem for a few months. Never modded my wii (twilight hacked though) and stopped working after I played brawl a lot. Gonna try the brawl excuse on phone support monday. Hope you get it resolved.

Warren_303

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, thanks for the link Superfan. That is something worth checking out, I noticed there is a drop down in the symptom section that says "All other discs read error message." I could use that when I take mine in.

radionds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys I had the same problem, my wii wasn't reading any game (legit or not), than I changed my laser then it starts to work fine, but my Super Smash Bros Brawl DVD9 is not working anymore, when I put the disc inside the wii, it makes like 3 clicks and show the message " the disc could not be read" and the big "?"..

Does anybody know how to fix that?
I tried to clean the lens but it didn't work.
Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu