Wii Newbie Needs Help Modding Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lazy-buntu, Nov 22, 2008.

Nov 22, 2008
  1. Lazy-buntu
    OP

Newcomer Lazy-buntu Member

United States
    I am about to buy a Wii and I am very protective of my games. I want to back them up and be able to play them off a regular DVD, but I am confused and overwhelmed by all the modchip threads etc.

From what I understand I can either:

1. Do the twilight hack + backup loader channel
    2. Install a modchip inside my wii

Anyone a Wii hacking pro have advice for a newbie? Advantages/disadvantages of each method and maybe where to look for a guide? What if I open up my Wii and it has the epoxy over the legs or whatever?

I would really like to do the softmod so I don't have to risk damaging my wii. Please help! [​IMG]

2. zerof

Member zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Someone just asked this same question so I advise you to look through some threads under this one.

3. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Well... You could get a Wasabi Wii-Clip and just clip it in your Wii. I'm not sure if the new Wii's have firmware 3.4 on it or not...

4. Phratt

Member Phratt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I suggest softmodding because from what I heard, Nintendo will still fix it, most likely for free, whereas, you can't if you hardmod it which includes voiding the warranty.

Just get the twilight hack, install HBC, get Softchip and play your favorite games.

5. Lazy-buntu
    OP

United States
    I went three pages back and I didn't find what you are talking about. Why didn't you link it?

6. Lazy-buntu
    OP

United States
    So twilight hack, then install homebrew channel, and install softchip loader (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=113659) (http://www.softchip-mod.com/)?

What are the pitfalls of this method (like you can't use wifi, or you have to wait for an update of the homebrew after wii firmware updates, can brick your wii, etc.)

7. judgedee

Newcomer judgedee Advanced Member

United States
    pitfall of the this method is glitches in cinematics(in some games) and longer loading times by a few more seconds. and also its not 100% compatible with all games though its pretty close.

8. zerof

United States
    I'm too lazy. [​IMG]

And you've already got some replies here.

9. Lazy-buntu
    OP

United States
    It looks like there's multiple backup loaders too. Can they all be trusted to not brick my wii, do they all work the same, and is there a clear winner among them?

Like on this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108959 he mentions "Wiigators v0.3 beta backup loader" and I've seen some other loaders too.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am a complete newbie when it comes to the wii.

10. zerof

United States
    .3 gamma is the latest, just get that one for now.
    There is an open source one you can try out if you wish called SoftChip.

11. Lazy-buntu
    OP

United States
    One last question: do I have to worry about not connecting to the internet or not updating the wii's firmware, stuff like that? I read somewhere that Nintendo is against any type of homebrew activities, so updating the firmware will more than likely render whatever you do useless until an update in the homebrew software is released.