Wii MC and HD Video Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Kurt91, Feb 20, 2013.

Feb 20, 2013

Wii MC and HD Video Question by Kurt91 at 1:34 AM (534 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Kurt91
    OP

Member Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For a long time, we had our satellite service disconnected. Somewhat recently, I thought I'd try to do something nice and I downloaded and put WiiMC on the family Wii. I had downloaded the complete Code Lyoko series, and later removed it, thinking that he wasn't interested. Because my PC is running out of space, I eventually removed it from there as well. It turns out he liked the show and got upset at me for removing it. I'm trying to make it up to him by downloading about 100 episodes of One Piece for him to watch. (Funimation dub, of course)

Now that it's downloading, something occurred to me. The videos themselves are HD, and I already know that the Wii cannot display HD video. I'd like to know, before the download completes and takes up whatever remaining space I have on my PC, whether this will be a problem. Will the Wii display the video but just show it in standard definition, or will the fact that I'm going to be trying to run an HD video screw it up and it won't work at all? (I would have gone with a lower-quality download, but this was the best torrent the site had up with the most seeds)

2. nakata6790

Member nakata6790 True Player

Greece
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC#Media_Playback

If the videos are above those resolutions, yeah they will stutter.
    You could try to back them up on DVD to save HDD space and then encode them - one season at a time, with a video converter app - at a resolution that Wii plays smoothly (like 480p for example)?

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The page Nakata lists says they support H.264 video in the MP4 container, so Handbrake should do fine for a mass converter.
    http://handbrake.fr/

4. Kurt91
    OP

Member Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks, guys. I'm downloading HandBrake right now, and I'll use it to set things up when the videos finish downloading. (It's taken 13 hours to download 2 GB, and it's a 22 GB torrent. This is going to take a while...)