Wii LAN

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by brasscorpion, Mar 4, 2009.

Mar 4, 2009

Wii LAN by brasscorpion at 7:43 PM (1,193 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. brasscorpion
    OP

Newcomer brasscorpion Member

United States
    Another question here.

I am new to the game and I did a search through multiple Wii threads, and it seems that not many people discuss connecting the Wii to a PC via a LAN setup.

So quick question, can the Wii be setup on a LAN with a PC (like WiFi) and then the PC can read what is in the DRIVE?

If so Can you then backup a game using this drive? If you can do it WiFi it seems really easy and possible via LAN.

Brass

2. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thats a good idea but... I don't think that method has been implemented for a disc dumper type homebrew app.

Hopefully someone here will be interested in making it happen.

3. famousginni

Member famousginni GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    umm. if you want to access whats on the dvd drive from ur computer using the wii dvd drive then its possilble.
    the homebrew application is called ftpii.

first set up ur wii to use the internet by going to wii menu and then settings
    and then internet.
    if ur internet is wireless the u find the ssid and put in ur information (wpa encription)
    if ur internet is not wireless then u need to get the lan adaptar for the wire.

once that is done ur wii will test for internet
    if everything goes right a window should pop up saying update available or something
    say NO.
    now cpoy the ftpii to ur sd card in the apps folder
    run homebrew channel
    run the application
    it shoudl start and give you ur wiis ip address.
    copy that down and put it in ur ftp client (smarftp , windows explorer, etc)
    on the wii when u press b button it should say what u want to mount
    put in the dvd and press b and then mount the dvd
    ftp to ur wii and u have access to the dvd
    /wod/ is the image of the dvd (.iso )
    /fst/ is the dvd files (stuff in the game)

4. Rudolf

Newcomer Rudolf Member

Netherlands
    I think you already can using FTPii and DVDX.

I'm almost certain that there's another tool around on the Internet, can't remember the name.

5. brasscorpion
    OP

Newcomer brasscorpion Member

United States
    Okay thanks...If I have a LAN in the house...by definition that means I already have 2 PC's hooked together and they can talk to each other.

These are connected to a WIRED router or as some people call it a SWITCH.

By the switches function and porting shouldn't the router find the IP address of my Wii automatically and set it up. That is what a router does right...handles the incoming and out going registration of PC's and items on the LAN and assigns it to an address so to speak.

I wil try it and let you all know how it goes.

In either case why would I need the Homebrew stuff...do I need to install the software...I think it is call WINGATOR or something like that?

6. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    there are quite much tutorials out there to start with homebrew, and wiigator is the person who made a backup laucher...

ps. LOL, when i first entered this topic, i thought you were asking for a flatmii-like homebrew app [​IMG]

7. capuuz

Newcomer capuuz Member

United States
    There is a way. You can use your wireless internet to connect to the wii , run homebrew off the computer,and install things onto the wii.