Hardware Wii Key V1

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible for the WiiKey V1 to burn out?
Drive reads retail disc's no problem, but when a back up disc is inserted it does not read it.
I load up uloader and it does see the back up no problem.
I took apart the wii and checked the WiiKey and everything does appear to be intact. All solder joints
look good and no cold welds. So Is it burnt out maybe, I don't think that i know of any ios updates
effect actual modchips.. I know you are thinking why have a mod chip if i can use my back ups in uloader
and have homebrew running already and its the simple fact that we like rockband and play it off the disc
because I have really never had that much luck getting the drums working when using in uloader.
I don't mind putting in a new chip if the case is that it is dead.
any ideas?

lost

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welllllll I am thinking the wiikey is dead.. No real replies so maybe something like this has not been seen before.

lost

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
It's an IC connected to a piece of plastic. Unless you did a poor solder job, how can it possibly burn out?
mellow.gif

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most likely a soldering issue - one of the wires has come loose (the power or the ground, maybe? You could re-solder just those if you didn't want to start from scratch.)

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't be a poor soldering job, ran flawless since i installed it (which was about 3 yrs ago) I did take the wii apart and inspected all points and everything is solid. As I stated before i looked for loose wires and cold solder joints and nothing to be found. Metered for continuity and all checks out. Not a newbie here when comes to installing chips or soldering.. I think i can toss that idea out as for i checked out those aspects first off. I really do think i answered myself already and just will get a new chip. Was just wondering if maybe a ios could effect the wiikey at all in the main menu, which is 4.2
Anyhow thanks for some of the input thou and I will watch this thread in case there is any real ideas that could be the likely cause of this defect.

lost

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just throwing this out there but is the back up game from another region?

SM 4.2 kills regionfree compatibility of most mod chips including Wiikey V1!

Havbe you tried to see if the game works with NeoGamma or Gecko OS?

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
would love to try that but how? wiikey does not read burnt disc's no more.. any other way to update? Install update via uloader maybe? would gecko launch the dvd ok to install the firmware update? always just put disc in at disc channel and it read it.. I will check out another method of launching the update and see it it even see's the disc..

update: gecko didn't see the dvd wiikey firmware update. I read installing the firmware update thur uloader would not work either on a thread here somewhere here
so not going to attempt that.. .. . .. . . .

lost

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SM 4.2 kills regionfree compatibility of most mod chips including Wiikey V1!

ok so if it was a kill somehow but i can't see from where at this house anyhow.. what would be a fix for that? maybe i can try that? Sm4.2? what is that?

lost

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
SM 4.2 equals Wii System Menu version 4.2!

As for a solution you need to ask more experienced tempers If it is safe to downgrade to 4.1!

My Wii is softmodded not chipped (hardmodded) and can still play regionfree games so maybe you should softmod your Wii!

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your laser is dying.

I've had this problem, and it was my laser. I replaced my laser and everything ran perfectly again.

The symptoms you're getting are the same ones I was having also, regardless of how odd it sounds, it wouldn't read the media straight from the disc channel, but only within launchers and such, retails worked fine through straight-launch though. Replaced the laser and everything ran fine again, everything boots from the disc channel again.

Look into getting your laser replaced, it cost me around £25 at the time.

lost_loven

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, so a down grade to 4.1 then is pointless... Would cleaning the laser help at all? would using one of those dvd laser cleans do more damage or help at all?

lost

vki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
0xc0a80001
XP
Country
what's your fw version ?
if it's 1.9g or newer, there's a simple way to see if it's alive. just insert a disc upside down
and see if it spins up. if it doesn't you can be sure it's not doing anything...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.