Wii Key V1

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lost_loven, Jul 24, 2010.

Jul 24, 2010

Wii Key V1 by lost_loven at 6:20 PM (2,647 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. lost_loven
    OP

Member lost_loven GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Is it possible for the WiiKey V1 to burn out?
    Drive reads retail disc's no problem, but when a back up disc is inserted it does not read it.
    I load up uloader and it does see the back up no problem.
    I took apart the wii and checked the WiiKey and everything does appear to be intact. All solder joints
    look good and no cold welds. So Is it burnt out maybe, I don't think that i know of any ios updates
    effect actual modchips.. I know you are thinking why have a mod chip if i can use my back ups in uloader
    and have homebrew running already and its the simple fact that we like rockband and play it off the disc
    because I have really never had that much luck getting the drums working when using in uloader.
    I don't mind putting in a new chip if the case is that it is dead.
    any ideas?

lost

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Is Gecko OS reading the backup?

3. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    don't have gecko installled, would that tell me anything if i do install it?

4. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    He said that ULoader reads it just fine...

5. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    Welllllll I am thinking the wiikey is dead.. No real replies so maybe something like this has not been seen before.

lost

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

It's an IC connected to a piece of plastic. Unless you did a poor solder job, how can it possibly burn out? [​IMG]

7. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Most likely a soldering issue - one of the wires has come loose (the power or the ground, maybe? You could re-solder just those if you didn't want to start from scratch.)

8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    But uLoader runs off of a cIOS. If it runs a backup through Gecko OS, that means that there's nothing wrong with the chip.

9. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    Can't be a poor soldering job, ran flawless since i installed it (which was about 3 yrs ago) I did take the wii apart and inspected all points and everything is solid. As I stated before i looked for loose wires and cold solder joints and nothing to be found. Metered for continuity and all checks out. Not a newbie here when comes to installing chips or soldering.. I think i can toss that idea out as for i checked out those aspects first off. I really do think i answered myself already and just will get a new chip. Was just wondering if maybe a ios could effect the wiikey at all in the main menu, which is 4.2
    Anyhow thanks for some of the input thou and I will watch this thread in case there is any real ideas that could be the likely cause of this defect.

lost

10. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm just throwing this out there but is the back up game from another region?

SM 4.2 kills regionfree compatibility of most mod chips including Wiikey V1!

Havbe you tried to see if the game works with NeoGamma or Gecko OS?

11. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    nope, same region as wii, been using same backup for a long time now of rb2.

lost

12. icecold

Newcomer icecold Advanced Member

Sweden
    You can also try to update to the latest Wiikey V1 firmware, 1.99 beta.

13. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    would love to try that but how? wiikey does not read burnt disc's no more.. any other way to update? Install update via uloader maybe? would gecko launch the dvd ok to install the firmware update? always just put disc in at disc channel and it read it.. I will check out another method of launching the update and see it it even see's the disc..

update: gecko didn't see the dvd wiikey firmware update. I read installing the firmware update thur uloader would not work either on a thread here somewhere here
    so not going to attempt that.. .. . .. . . .

lost

14. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    just emailed the wiikey team.. maybe they will have some input.

lost

15. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    SM 4.2 kills regionfree compatibility of most mod chips including Wiikey V1!

ok so if it was a kill somehow but i can't see from where at this house anyhow.. what would be a fix for that? maybe i can try that? Sm4.2? what is that?

lost

16. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    sm4.2 is a short name for firmware 4.2

17. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    SM 4.2 equals Wii System Menu version 4.2!

As for a solution you need to ask more experienced tempers If it is safe to downgrade to 4.1!

My Wii is softmodded not chipped (hardmodded) and can still play regionfree games so maybe you should softmod your Wii!

18. FoulPlay

Member FoulPlay GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your laser is dying.

I've had this problem, and it was my laser. I replaced my laser and everything ran perfectly again.

The symptoms you're getting are the same ones I was having also, regardless of how odd it sounds, it wouldn't read the media straight from the disc channel, but only within launchers and such, retails worked fine through straight-launch though. Replaced the laser and everything ran fine again, everything boots from the disc channel again.

Look into getting your laser replaced, it cost me around £25 at the time.

19. lost_loven
    OP

Canada
    ok, so a down grade to 4.1 then is pointless... Would cleaning the laser help at all? would using one of those dvd laser cleans do more damage or help at all?

lost

20. vki

Newcomer vki Member

what's your fw version ?
    if it's 1.9g or newer, there's a simple way to see if it's alive. just insert a disc upside down
    and see if it spins up. if it doesn't you can be sure it's not doing anything...