Wii ISO Storage, Compression?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by schmake, Apr 13, 2009.

Apr 13, 2009

Wii ISO Storage, Compression? by schmake at 4:08 AM (2,158 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. schmake
    OP

Newcomer schmake Member

Australia
    I currently have all my wii backups on a 640gb external HDD, so that I could easily reburn or now transfer to a portable HDD/USB stick for use with USB Loader.
    Is there an application which will reduce the size of the iso's reliably? Each game takes up 4.3gb, so if I could reduce the archive size and still easily transfer to external drives without some sort of conversion to full size iso again it would be good.

2. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    well, these are the easiest ways i have come across

first, load the game onto a wbfs formatted drive, that will remove all the useless crap from the disc. then extract it from the drive. you will notice it will balloon up to 4.6 GBs again. well, at that point simply put in in a NTFS compresssed folder. then look at the size on disk in properties, it will drop considerably. (animal crossing dropped to a lil over 300 MB.

if you want to do it without putting them in a compressed folder, simply run wiiscrubber and pick the iso them pick trim.

3. BlindDude

Member BlindDude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Make a new folder on your drive.. Right click the folder and choose advanced.. find the radio button that says "compress contents to save disk space".
    Then COPY,, NOT MOVE .... COPY your games one by one there or just a few at a time,,then delete them from original folder..

Now the games, (considering they are SCRUBBED) will be the same size as the .rar download.

Try it out.....and lol i just put that in my sig last night

4. schmake
    OP

Newcomer schmake Member

Australia
    Thanks for the replies, I will try using windows compression. My main fear is that it will take longer to copy across to my external WBFS external drive.

5. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    mine copies quick as hell, and i have both trimmed mine and are in a compressed folder.

try WBFS manager 2.2.1. its the fastest one I've found.

6. schmake
    OP

Newcomer schmake Member

Australia
    It's a shame that WBFS Manager can't do batch extraction. I have over 60 games that I wish to extract, and I'd prefer to have it done in batch. Any other apps that can extract in batch?

7. --=ZerO=--

Member --=ZerO=-- GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    WBFS Manager 3.0 will support the transfer of games from one wbfs partition to another. so u could store ur isos in another
    wbfs partition if u want. I think u could even make a Truecrypted WBFS partition to archive ur wii isos...

8. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That tip about the NTFS compressed folder is great. I'll be keeping that one in mind!

9. AlexDP

Member AlexDP GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    As mentioned in the post above, v3.0 will have batch extract, but if you really need to do it now, try using PowerArchiver. It has a feature called the PowerArchiver Queue which is essentially a batch extractor. www.powerarchiver.com

10. Jeomite

Member Jeomite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can anyone post time difference as in using a compressed folder versus uncompressed folder?
    I would like to know how much longer it would take to Add a ISO from a compressed folder to your WBFS drive (compared to a uncompressed folder -ISO > WBFS drive-)

Thanks!

11. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If there's any Mac users (cricket, cricket), you can convert them into compressed DMGs. Hopefully WBFS will support this format in the future.

12. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    There is no need to transfer and extract from your drive. that will be much slower.
    You can just use wiiscrubber.

There are two different ways with wiiscrubber.

1. Scrubb the game. The game will be the same size, however it will be compressable (any compression program or just with windows as said above).

2. Shrink/extract the game partition. The game will actually physically reduce in size.

p.s. Note that all modified wii isos are trucha signed.

13. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Not necessarily. It's possible to remove the update partitions and blank out any unallocated space without trucha signing.

14. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    how do I store my games:
    - Scrub them with for example wiiscrubber
    - Use Wiiscruber's trim function (v1.4)

Doing this you'll get iso but damn smaller !
    And you can keep update partition (I collect ios's wad and system channel)