Homebrew Wii Homebrew Help for a Noob?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Notyalc
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,550
  • Replies Replies 10

Notyalc

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Trophies
1
XP
162
Country
Hello forumers of GBAtemp.

Well, firstly, I'm new here, but I'm fairly familiar with forums & how they work. So I'm okay with that.

So, to the point, I'd like to get my Wii running plenty of good homebrew etc.

So, first things first, the Homebrew Channel RIght?

And, is that something I should install or just load from SD. 'Cos I'd like to keep my warranty (Though I've had a Wii since Xmas '06, so it may've expired anyway)

But if it's able to uninstall the Homebrew channel easy enough, then I'll be happy to install.


So that's my QUestions on that.

Secondly I'd like to know about the full capabilities of the Homebrew.

To me, I'd basically want to get DVD playback, VC/WiiWare (as though downloaded, like with a channel on Wii Menu) & maybe GC games.

Now, I'm not asking for you to tell me anything that'd get you banned. But I'd like to understand it all.


After all I shouldn't find this too tricky as I'm pretty damn good with my R4!
yaynds.gif


But a few tutorials'd be useful.


THanks very much & sorry for, probably, asking what's been said in the past.
 
The homebrew channel (hbc) installs itself on your Wii as a channel. There's no risk, the installer is ultra stable.
After that you'll have to install a cios (custom ios), waninkoko's rev14 is currently the newest. This is necessarry for a lot of homebrew.
You download VC/Wiiware as .wad files. That's like an installation package. You can install it with Wad Manager, an application that runs from hbc. After installing, the game will appear in the Wii menu, like a normal channel as if you've bought it.
 
Notyalc said:
Hello forumers of GBAtemp.

Well, firstly, I'm new here, but I'm fairly familiar with forums & how they work. So I'm okay with that.

So, to the point, I'd like to get my Wii running plenty of good homebrew etc.

So, first things first, the Homebrew Channel RIght?

And, is that something I should install or just load from SD. 'Cos I'd like to keep my warranty (Though I've had a Wii since Xmas '06, so it may've expired anyway) It installs as a channel and loads like any other channel

But if it's able to uninstall the Homebrew channel easy enough, then I'll be happy to install. Yes, it's very easy to uninstall


So that's my QUestions on that.

Secondly I'd like to know about the full capabilities of the Homebrew.

To me, I'd basically want to get DVD playback There's a homebrew called Mplayer CE (look on www.wiibrew.org), VC/WiiWare (as though downloaded, like with a channel on Wii Menu) you can download them as WADs (from illegal sites not allowed to be mentionned here) and install them using WAD Manager (google it) & maybe GC games. look here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535

Now, I'm not asking for you to tell me anything that'd get you banned. But I'd like to understand it all.


After all I shouldn't find this too tricky as I'm pretty damn good with my R4!
yaynds.gif


But a few tutorials'd be useful.


THanks very much & sorry for, probably, asking what's been said in the past.
 
Wow!

This is brilliant! 3 Post & all really useful!

Thanks people!

I'll have a look at those sites now!
 
RIght, so I've installed the Homebrew Channel with some DVD player application & the Homebrew Browser.

I had a wads folder in the sd root & I put the game's wad folder in, but it doesn't seem able to install.

How do I install it?

SHould I clear out the Homebrew installer .dol/elf to do it?

(BTW I followed instructions off the Bannerbomb site)

So I seem able to get Homebrew working, that's good! (I watched a little bit of Shrek 1 to try the DVD Playback - pretty Decent!)


So, any help for getting VC/WW wads goin' would be appreciated!



Also, a Gamecube 'backup' launcher was mentioned -This just to backup GC games, or can I actually get it to launch any GC games.
('Cos I got no GC games, but I got a GC controller for Brawl, no GC Mem. Card though, that needed?)

Also, can Wii games be launched in any way?

Also, a pretty big question, can I install off any device? USB etc?




And while I'm mentioning GC/Wii games - what file extensions are they? And how big are their file size?



Any responses are appreciated!
 
People are always willing to help but you must first show that you have read all the tutorials and threads that are available on the subjects you are interested in. A lot of time an effort has gone into producing them.
If afterwards you are struggling to use your new found knowledge, apps etc. you will find that the community will fall over themselves to help.
Some of the apps you will come accross have the ability to damage your Wii. Be sure to read all the instructions and warnings. But you have already read the warnings here haven't you ;-)
 
I'll try my best to make it sound easy...

1. Download Wad Manager 1.4
2. And put it on the SD card just like the way you did for MPlayer_CE
3. Create a folder named "WAD" on the root (the very first location of) of your SD card...
4. Put all the .wad files into the WAD folder.
4.Start up homebrew and you should see wad manager.
5. Open it up and just keep pressing A until you see the list of .wad you have placed..
6. Install them one by one and there you go!

These games are now located in your Wii Menu!
 
>Also, a Gamecube 'backup' launcher was mentioned -This just to backup GC games, or can I actually get it to launch any GC games.

Backup is a term that we use for illegal copies of games

>('Cos I got no GC games, but I got a GC controller for Brawl, no GC Mem. Card though, that needed?)

Yes, you'll need a GC MemCard to play GC games. You can by one cheap at dealextreme.com (with free shipping)

>Also, can Wii games be launched in any way?

Yes, they can be launched from discs or SD/USB. Read more about it in "Wii- Backup Loaders" section of this forum.

>Also, a pretty big question, can I install off any device? USB etc?

Homebrew Channel can launch homebrew from any source.
WAD manager must support usb, but I couldn't get it to work(maybe it's just me).
GC backups can't be launched from usb.
Wii backups can be launched from usb, but you have to format it to special filesystem - WBFS.

>And while I'm mentioning GC/Wii games - what file extensions are they? And how big are their file size?

They both have .iso extensions (as almost any disc image).
Wii backup is 4.7 GB, but it can be scrubbed, so it'll have smaller size(depending on game).
I don't really know much about GC backups, but mine Custom Robo iso is 1.35 GB big.
 
Heya. Sorry for bringing an old thread to life. I am a bit curious about the risk of being banned on the Wii internet channels for online gaming I mean, if using homebrew stuff on my Wii. Is it any possible way to run homebrew stuff from an SD card without installing anything?
 
Heya. Sorry for bringing an old thread to life. I am a bit curious about the risk of being banned on the Wii internet channels for online gaming I mean, if using homebrew stuff on my Wii. Is it any possible way to run homebrew stuff from an SD card without installing anything?
You cannot get banned from any network services on the Wii unless you hack in multiplayer games. Even then you probably won't, but don't because cheating online is fucking gay.
 

Site & Scene News