Homebrew Wii Homebrew Essentials

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed a thread like a "Homebrew Starter's Pack" and decided to do something similar. Well, layout wise. This is more essentials, though. I've kept it in spoilers to keep the post from looking "too long". And sorry, no fancy pictures yet. I may get around to it.

Sticky this if you want.

UTILITIES

HOMEBREW BROWSER

This nifty applications allows you to download anything homebrew for the Wii. All you need is the Homebrew Channel and this app and you can download Wii homebrew mindlessly. No more running between the computer and the Wii with an SD card.

Info at Wiibrew

Download

Also, you can download most of the other homebrew programs on this page through here. So if you don't feel or trust any of the download sources here, look for it on the Homebrew Browser.

WIIXPLORER

WiiXplorer is a general organization tool for the Wii. It allows you to manage files on a SD card, SMB, and USB. It also lets you unzip .zip files and open txt, xml, png, jpg, gif, mp3, and ogg files. If you're looking for something a little more SD specific which allows you to delete and move folders, I suggest SD Explorer instead.

Info at Wiibrew

Download

LOADMII

Loadmii is an alternate way to load Wii applications. Unlike the Homebrew Channel loader, it can access multiple memory sources, such as the USB ports. It also lets you delete fancy channel icons and such and keep only the app.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

WAD MANAGER

WAD Manager is an app that allows you to download .wad files to your Wii system. This can be used for lots of things, from installing game channels for Virtual Console, WiiWare, and other Wii Shop Channel titles, helping you softmod your Wii by installing cIOS (right?), and for installing homebrew channels for emulators and other applications. You can also use it to uninstall any of your previously installed wads.

Download/Thread (v1.5)

GAMES

QUAKE WII

Quake Wii is yet another port of the famous FPS game Quake. It features the shareware version of the game and also supports the PAK1 if you own the full version of the game. It also features controller support for Wiimote, Nunchuck, keyboard, mouse, GC controller, and Classic controller.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

OPENJAZZ WII

OpenJazz Wii is an interpreter to let you play Jazz Jackrabbit on your Wii. For those of you who don't know, Jazz Jackrabbit is sort of a mix of Megaman and Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a great game for platforming and run n' gun enthusiasts.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

STILLALIVEWII

StillAliveWii is a port of the DS Portal-esque game Still Alive. It features the single player adventure, a Replay Viewer to see your recorded game videos, a Level Editor to make your own levels, and a Custom Map Player to play your custom maps.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

GUITARSONFIRE

GuitarsOnFire is a Guitar Hero clone and is modeled after other homebrew like Guitarfun and FretsOnFire. It's compatible with any FretsOnFire song (which you can find with the magic of Google) and features support for the Guitar remote, GC remote, Classic controller, and keyboard.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

SUPERSONIC WII

Supersonic Wii is a music/rhythm game based on Amplitude, a PS2 game. The objective is to press certain buttons at the corresponding time to stay with the rhythm. The game features many songs and many different controller inputs.

More info at Wiibrew (also includes mp3 downloads for all the songs)

Download

There are many more homebrew games out there worth playing. You can find the entire list here

EMULATORS

NES: FCE ULTRA GX

FCE Ultra GX is a port of the PC emulator FCE Ultra for playing NES games on the Wii. It supports multiple ROM file types, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Classic, and GC controller support, multiple memory accesses (SD card, DVD, USB, etc), and allows games to be played from 7z files to avoid unpacking.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

SNES: SNES9X GX

Snes9x GX is a SNES emulator based on the PC emulator Snes9x. It's compatible with nearly every ROM and emulates practically flawlessly. It also features Snapshot support (for any-time saving), multiple control inputs, zooming, multiple memory access (USB, DVD, SD card), cheats, and also supports opening files from 7z files (so no need to unpack).

More info at Wiibrew

Download

GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE: GENESIS PLUS

Genesis Plus is a ported version of the PC emulator with the same name that emulates the Genesis and Mega Drive. It supports light gun, multiple display modes, Game Genie cheat codes, and comprossed .zip files for ROMs.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

GAMEBOY ADVANCE: VBA GX

The VBA GX (aka Visual Boy Advance GX) is a Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance emulator for the Wii based off the PC emulator Visual Boy Advance. It supports Snapshots, Rotation sensors (for WarioWare), Solar Sensors (for Boktai), Rumble support, multiple memory accesses, fast forward, zooming, widescreen and much more.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

PLAYSTATION 1: WIISX BETA 1

WiiSX (beta 1) is a Playstation emulator for the Wii. It is very basic for now, with no GUI or fancy features, but has high game compatibility and runs most games at full speed. However, it doesn't support multi-disc games and most audio is choppy. Regardless, it is the most advanced modern emulator for the Wii and games are still great on it.

GBAtemp Wiki page (includes download, info, and compatibility list

These are only a handful of emulators. There is emulators for anything from the C64 to the Lynx. All can be found here

MEDIA

VIDEO: MPLAYER/CE

MPlayer/Mplayer CE are video players for the Wii. They support lots of video files as well as multiple memory inputs from SD to DVD. Both require DVDx to be installed if you wish to read DVDs, and Mplayer CE requires this to be installed. Mplayer CE is generally more advanced, but Mplayer doesn't require cIOS. Both are still exceptional for playing all your video needs, however.

More info at Wiibrew (Mplayer)

More info at Wiibrew (Mplayer CE)

Download (Mplayer)

Download (Mplayer CE

AUDIO: DRAGONMEDIAPLAYER

DragonMediaPlayer is a general audio player for the Wii. While it lacks .wma and .aac support, it does include .mp3 support and many other audio types. It also allows customizable skins, and with that multiple languages.

More info at Wiibrew (includes skin downloads)

Download

RADIO: WIIRADIO

WiiRadio is a radio application that allows you to stream internet radio channels to your Wii. It supports a visualizer, streaming information, and playlists.

More info at Wiibrew

Download

This is just a taste of the diverse amounts of Wii homebrew out there. I encourage you to try different applications and support homebrew developers out there to keep making the Wii scene a better place. If you have any suggestions for any type of homebrew that should be here, just reply to the post. I'm open to modifying the list.

Reactions: zfreeman

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
replace mplayer with mplayer ce, update wadmanager 1.3 to 1.5 and i recommend wiixplorer over sd explorer.

and you missed 3 of the best wii hb games:

Helium Boy
Project GMC
Supersonic Wii

all in all your post looks a little bit outdated.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Great topic!
I would suggest Wi64, but since it isn't working that good, I'll don't do it.

Else, I would suggest Geexbox, because it always seems to read my second partition on my Wii HD, where MPlayer doesn't recognize it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Where's the Wii homebrewlove
cry.gif
?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you revive a thread that is pinned? Pinning is like drinking the holy grail, you can't kill it.

Even though it's outdated, I didn't know that had a jazz jackrabbit port =)

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
Dr.Aqua said:
This really needs to be updated or wii need a new list

This.

There's no wimc, wiisx is in beta 1... there are almost no games or utilities...

EDIT: Could I start a list on my own? Do I need any persmissions or something?

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this thread, but whenever I try to put StillAlive on my SD Card, and play it on my Wii, it doesn't load. It comes up with an error.

Code:
Couldn't init the SD Card. Maybe you forgot to put it in the Wii...

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need that Quake Port..... It's prolly the closest I'll ever get to playing DOOM on my little white homebrew executor.
Umm, OK? The link in the first post still works fine, so what are you asking for?

Also: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiDoom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.