1. nwh212

OP nwh212 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I recently bought a Wii that has no sound output, so I got to work on it. I opened it up and aside from dust, the board seems fine, nothing fried or abnormal. I tested the pins of the AV out port to make sure they were continuous, and they seemed fine. I tried changing the Wii's sound settings, nothing. I tried different cables, nothing. I tried powering it from the wall and not from a surge protector, nothing. I reset the Wii, nothing. When put loudly through my amplifier, the speakers him a very low noise, of which I know is coming from the system. What is it that could have gone wrong? Is there a component that could've fried that I'm unaware of? Could someone have screwed up on custom firmware or something? What could've caused this?

2. Judge_Furret

Judge_Furret Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Not completely sure. Maybe something with CFW.

3. V10lator

V10lator GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Try to clean the board with isoprophyl alcohol none the less. I had weird things caused by dust on other systems, so that's the first thing I do when getting my hands on a dusted system showing weird symptoms.

jeannotte likes this.
  4. Edmonds

Edmonds Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Did you try compressed air in the RGB connections?

5. nwh212

OP nwh212 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I tried that, it unfortunately hasn't solved the issue. I may try it again but I doubt it'll change if it didn't work the first time.
    Yup. The port seems to be fine. In fact, there is sound coming from the Wii - cranking my amp to max volume reveals a low electrical hum that I have confirmed comes from the wii. Is it possible that something on the board blown, or the firmware is janked?

6. Edmonds

Edmonds Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I imagine it would be something hardware, not software. I don't know if you can, but look into buying a new audio card

7. nwh212

OP nwh212 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    New audio card? I'll see if I can.

8. nwh212

OP nwh212 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    It seems the suspect could be a preamp chip on the board located nearest to the AV output on the bottom side of the board. The chip reads 932 AMPAM. Anyone know where to find a replacement for this?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - sound,