Hacking Wii Hacking.

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a Wii from Best Buy (no motion plus and Wii Sport Resort) for $149 USD and I'm wondering what's the best way to hack it. Soft mod from the sticky sounds good but it looks difficult to do. How would I play games? Do I lose that soft mod every time I update the firmware? What about hard mods with a mod chip? Which is the best and which chip should I avoid?

I'm a complete newbie.

cojiro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if its a brand new wii, 99% chance you will have to load via USB or if you choose to hardmod, use something like WODE.
How would I play games? - load over USB from a hard drive
Do I lose that soft mod every time I update the firmware? yes, and no. official Nintendo updates will "stub" the IOS files, meaning you have to reinstall the custion IOS
What about hard mods with a mod chip? disk loading will not work, so something like WODE or SunDriver will work
Which is the best and which chip should I avoid? any one with you to load from disk will most likely not work

iDarkTrace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just softmod. And aslong as you follow every crucial step and have yourself armed with as much knowledge about softmodding, you will be fine
smile.gif

Gao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To make a simple statement. The guides on the stickies are made as SIMPLE as it can get, any other guide will make you wonder what's happening, so It's best to use the sticky guides.

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cojiro said:
if its a brand new wii, 99% chance you will have to load via USB or if you choose to hardmod, use something like WODE.
How would I play games? - load over USB from a hard drive
Do I lose that soft mod every time I update the firmware? yes, and no. official Nintendo updates will "stub" the IOS files, meaning you have to reinstall the custion IOS
What about hard mods with a mod chip? disk loading will not work, so something like WODE or SunDriver will work
Which is the best and which chip should I avoid? any one with you to load from disk will most likely not work
I got only a faint idea of what you're saying....

How would I run games by softmod?

If I hard mode, WODE is the best to go with?

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
geokilla said:
I got only a faint idea of what you're saying....

How would I run games by softmod? plugging in an external hard drive into the bottom usb port on ur wii, and loading backups of your wii games that are saved on the hard drive
OH that's what he meant! All rights I'll continue to check soft modding and hard modding out. Thanks
smile.gif

Hmm I think I got lucky. I was considering buying the black Wii with Motion Plus and Wii Sport Resort, but I didn't. I think that was a good move as it makes playing games and modding a lot easier.

o2oxygen

Trophies
XP
Country
hello i have also a question... do i need to soft mod to be able to install homebrew channel? im not planning to do a USB loader or something i just want to add hombrew channel to my Menu and nothing else...

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, I gotta ask.. Why do you want the homebrew channel and nothing else? What's the point? But to answer your question, yes you need to softmod to install the homebrew channel.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wilabob said:
First, I gotta ask.. Why do you want the homebrew channel and nothing else? What's the point? But to answer your question, yes you need to softmod to install the homebrew channel.

Because not everyone who uses the Homebrew Channel is interested in backup games and piracy? There are plenty of things you can do without a complete softmod.

And no, you don't have to do a complete softmod. If you're on 4.3 you'll need Indiana Jones(US/PAL) or Brawl(US) to install the HBC, or if you're below 4.3, you can use bannerbomb to install it.

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do I need a fast hard drive to load games off a soft modded Wii? Got a minimal 4 year old WD 250GB internal hard drive here that's just collecting dust. I doubt i need a fast hard drive as the transfer rates can only be so fast via USB, unless there's a way to speed up the transfer rates.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
geokilla said:
Do I need a fast hard drive to load games off a soft modded Wii? Got a minimal 4 year old WD 250GB internal hard drive here that's just collecting dust. I doubt i need a fast hard drive as the transfer rates can only be so fast via USB, unless there's a way to speed up the transfer rates.

Is it USB 2.0? If it is, it should work fine. Even a 1.1 might work.

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
linuxares said:
geokilla said:

Is it USB 2.0? If it is, it should work fine. Even a 1.1 might work.
I'll be buying one of those external drive enclosures, so yea it'll be USB 2.0.

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's what blew them up +1