Hardware Wii got really loud - dying drive?

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok all of a sudden yesterday my Wii (D2B, circa Christmas 2006, modded with WiiFree and later with OpenWii) DVD drive got REAL loud. Vibrational, sounds like it's vibrating the whole case. Buzzes, if you will.

Games still load and run fine.

I have never bothered to change defaults, so for all I know OpenWii has been overdriving it...

What are my basic steps in troubleshooting here? I haven't even cracked it back open yet, but assuming I rule out "oh hey look a loose screw", what's next?

If it comes down to it, can I get a D2B replacement drive (for any reasonable price, I've seen drives for $150 which seems silly on a $250 unit)?

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaaand... now it won't boot apparently. The 7 year old is in tears. Looks like eBay has drives under $75. That's not too bad, I can just buy a replacement D2B, resolder the MOD to it...

'Course I still haven't opened it. Guess that's my first step.

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah this is Lego Batman, an original actually, new and unscratched. It was doing it with Lego Indiana Jones as well, also an original (I buy the 7-year-old the games he actually plays a lot of...)

Good to know they're all swappable. Which would you recommend? Are the DMS's better? I found a ton of them on eBay - DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, everything.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless you plan on getting a new modchip, buy a DMS, D2A, or D2B. Anything newer will require a new modchip. Absolutely don't go with the D2E which might have epoxy.

I'd personally go with a D2A if they're available - more recent than the DMS, and no chance of cut legs like the D2B. But that's only if they're available.

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well ok here's what happened.

I opened it up, reminded myself of the hack job I did on the mod chip because I wanted it externally socketable (I modded this so long ago that the WiiFree project was still ongoing and releasing new firmware once a week!), and took out the drive.

It's... definitely the drive. I guess I could disassemble it even further, to see if I can get to the actual drive component that's vibrating, but I suspect that it's just an off-kilter drive. It happens. I guess now it's time to look more seriously at eBay, maybe order up a D2A. I presume the entire drive unit that I've lifted out of here ships all as one piece?

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like it's hard to find a NEW DMS/D2A/D2B, they're all refurbed which I guess is ok for $60-$65.

Are all D2C's pretty much guaranteed to suck for modding? I presume so.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Only works for DMS, D2A, and D2B no cut legs. Sorry.
tongue.gif

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap. So D2C, which I can get new, and which is arguably a newer/faster drive, requires a $75 mod chip I'm guessing? Bleh.

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hrm. What are the pros and cons? It's tempting to just get a new chip to go with the new drive, mod it up before I install it, and be done with it. The whole "remove chip, reflash, reinstall chip" thing gets old after a while.

powerpuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually fixed it last night in a VERY similar way. Instead of loosening those screws, I shimmed (with a thin piece of cardboard insulated with electrical tape) the cage just above where those screws are. I may take mine apart tonight and try this method, I like it better than shimming!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1