OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's better than I thought

You can read the DS version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

FlingSmash

Developed by: Artoon
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: July 1st (America) (according to IGN, but yet again they're not the best)
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: Wow, this game went under the radar
GBAtemp Hype Level: Same

fling_smash_wii_e_esrbboxart_160w.jpg

This is a game that I just completely forgot about. It was one of Nintendo's titles that they announced a while back but got completely overshadowed by a flood of big name titles. But hey, it looks like an interesting concept using Wii Motion Plus and stuff, so it could be a nice little surprise.

Tournament of Legends

Developed by: High Voltage Software
Published by: Sega
Release date: July 1st (Australia), July 6th (America)
Genre: Fighting
My Hype Level: I've lost my enthusiasm completely
GBAtemp Hype Level: Huh?

tournament_of_legendsesrbboxart_160w.jpg

Ah, remember like a year ago when High Voltage was all like "We're gonna make awesome Wii games!" I sure do. They had The Conduit, which wasn't as good as I hoped but I still liked it, they had The Grinder, which looked like a nice "Left 4 Dead Wii" type game until they shitted it up with a ridiculous release date and drastically different multiplatform versions, and Gladiator AD, which is now this. Gladiator AD looked awesome though. Bloody, visceral, like 300-meets-fighting game. But this looks pretty bland. A 10 character roster (no more) with no online play or anything, and it doesn't even have WM+ compatibility any more. You can use the Classic Controller though, but otherwise it looks kinda crap.

Arc Rise Fantasia

Developed by: Image Epoch
Published by: Ignition Entertainment
Release date: July 20th (America)
Genre: RPG
My Hype Level: What, the Wii has RPGs? BLASPHEMY.
GBAtemp Hype Level: YEAH

ArcRiseFantasiaWiiBox_Xseed-version.jpg

Same summary as last month, this just got pushed back.

The Wii has a lot of games from a lot of genres, but what it lacks are RPGs. And for RPGs, it severely lacks straight-up, turn based RPGs. We finally get one that looks worthy, Arc Rise Fantasia, and honestly, I want it. A lot. You guys do too so hopefully it won't blow it.

Trackmania Wii

Developed by: Firebird/Nadeo
Published by: Dreamcatcher interactive
Release date: July 20th
Genre: Racing
My Hype Level: Not my kind of game.
GBAtemp Hype Level: Yay Trackmania!

51yulvozu4l._ss500_26jl.jpg

Thanks to Satangel for digging up my old write-up.

I've tried Trackmania, both on the PC and DS, and I haven't been too fond of either of them. It's just not my type of racing. I prefer that bumper-to-bumper stuff, not really just time trials. But some people do love it, and the Wii version is looking good, I guess.

Other titles

- Super Mario Galaxy 2: 7/1 (Australia)
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory: 7/15 (Japan)
- TrackMania Wii: 7/20 (America)
- Sengoku Basara 3: 7/29 (Japan)

Overall Summary

It's not a great month, but we've got some cool titles. FlingSmash is still in limbo in my release date info but can be good fun if it comes. Tournament of Legends looks disappointing but I can always be wrong. And Arc Rise Fantasia has finally come after another delay here in America.

Next month is really bad outside of Metroid Other M, which kinda makes the month. But really, other than that, it's a no-man's land.

Have a nice July!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
All three titles you previewed are kind of games that can totally surprise me and get me addicted for a short time.
I hope one of them pulls it off, I remember The Grinder, indeed looked awesome.

Also, Trackmania Wii should have had a write-up too, I'm looking forward to that one so much! Hopefully we get a PAL release soon, can't wait!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Also, Trackmania Wii should have had a write-up too, I'm looking forward to that one so much! Hopefully we get a PAL release soon, can't wait!

I swear I did a TrackMania Wii write-up a few months ago, I just didn't bother reposting it (although I did repost Arc Rise Fantasia's).

QUOTE(B-Blue @ Jun 26 2010, 02:46 PM) *see post*

I don't commonly do Japanese games, sorry. If you can find a similar sized boxart or just remind how to resize it again, then I'll do a write-up after some research.

And if any staffers feel like I missed a game or wanted to further on a preview, go ahead. I know Mag Staffers can't edit posts in this forum, but they can just send their stuff to a moderator who can and have them add it. Or just send it to me and I'll add it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guild McCommunist said:
Satangel said:

I swear I did a TrackMania Wii write-up a few months ago, I just didn't bother reposting it (although I did repost Arc Rise Fantasia's).

QUOTE(B-Blue @ Jun 26 2010, 02:46 PM) *see post*

I don't commonly do Japanese games, sorry. If you can find a similar sized boxart or just remind how to resize it again, then I'll do a write-up after some research.

And if any staffers feel like I missed a game or wanted to further on a preview, go ahead. I know Mag Staffers can't edit posts in this forum, but they can just send their stuff to a moderator who can and have them add it. Or just send it to me and I'll add it.

Well for anyone interested in the Trackmania Write up by Guild, here it is:

Trackmania Wii

Developed by: Firebird/Nadeo
Published by: Dreamcatcher interactive
Release date: July 20th
Genre: Racing
My Hype Level: Not my kind of game.
GBAtemp Hype Level: Yay Trackmania!

51yulvozu4l._ss500_26jl.jpg

I've tried Trackmania, both on the PC and DS, and I haven't been too fond of either of them. It's just not my type of racing. I prefer that bumper-to-bumper stuff, not really just time trials. But some people do love it, and the Wii version is looking good, I guess.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlingSmash I really want and Lost in Shadow is one of those games I'll like to play in any way as it looks so damn good and the previews are making it out to be a classic.

I may try Tournament of Legends but HVS make mediocre games and they made this one even less appealing by teensizing it.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FlingSmash and Trackmania look really nice. Can`t wait to play them. Definitely my most wanted this month!

Lost in Shadow looks lovely and I hope the localization won`t take too long.

ARF looks cool as well but at the moment I don`t have time for timeconsuming RPGs.

ToL looks interesting gameplay-wise but artistically and presentation-wise it is just ugly. I think the gameplay looks way better then what they`ve showed in the trailer, when it still was called Gladiator A.D. - basically it was a Punch-Out-clone... That`s at least what it looked like.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm one of those contributors to that "Yay Trackmania!" hype level.

And it's stupid the European version gets pushed back so much (I found september once, but the estimations run wild). If there is one race game you can play with everyone around the world without ping issues, it's trackmania. This kind of delay will have a serious impact on multiplayer activity.
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
I think the gameplay looks way better then what they`ve showed in the trailer, when it still was called Gladiator A.D. - basically it was a Punch-Out-clone... That`s at least what it looked like.
I think you're confused with Rage of the Gladiator as it never was a Punch-Out clone. It was pretty much exactly the same as what it is now only with gore and fatalities.

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty amazing month. I had no idea Fling Smash was so soon, it looks really fun. I know i'll have a good time with Trackmania and Arc Rise Fantasia.

And has Lost in Shadow always been a retail game? I swear it was Wiiware..

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fling Smash looks worth a download for sure.
Will get Tournament of legends for lulz
and ARF for my RPG fix.

Good stuff.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for TrackMania, Arc Rise Fantasia looks good, I really want FlingSmash but I don't have a WM+. Lost in Shadow looks great, by one of the better Wii developers too (Hudson).

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gaydrian said:
Master Mo said:
I think the gameplay looks way better then what they`ve showed in the trailer, when it still was called Gladiator A.D. - basically it was a Punch-Out-clone... That`s at least what it looked like.
I think you're confused with Rage of the Gladiator as it never was a Punch-Out clone. It was pretty much exactly the same as what it is now only with gore and fatalities.
No, I really was talking about Gladiator A.D.
tongue.gif

When you look at the trailer they showed back then, which pretty much was only cinematics with in-game graphics there is some actual gameplay visible from 0:45 seconds (that`s at least what it looks like for me). And the way the two fighters don`t seem to move at all, how they attack and especially how they dodge (0:53 seconds) seems very punch-out-like with just a different camera-angle... It looked more like a game, which relies on refleces in dodgin and attacking rather then what Tournament of Legends looks like now...

Not that I don`t like Punch-Out but I like it, that they at least tried something different.

Gladiator A.D. Trailer:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks