Gaming Wii (Gamecube) Memory Card Region

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I have just softmodded my first model Wii, installed PriiLoader, and enabled the "Region free EVERYTHING" hack. I decided to play a Japanese GameCube game I have, and when it got to the save menu, the game crashed. Fortunately, it seems that Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door does not corrupt memory cards of the wrong region. Phew.

I was wondering if I had to buy a Japanese GameCube memory card or if I could continue using my US card using Homebrew. Formatting the memory card is an option, as it is not a stock card, rather one with a 4-way changer inside.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

EDIT: It seems the memory card is not the problem. Rather, the language is. For some reason, all text boxes say "No messages.", and I suspect it is due to the fact that the Japanese language is not on my North American Wii. Anybody who knows how I can rectify this is much appreciated!

EDIT2: Thanks to nitrostemp, I have learned that the way to do this is to install Nintendont and boot the game disc from there. Thanks!

Last edited by figboot,
Reactions: Alexander1970

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you boot a game with a memory card and try to save it should prompt your to format the memory card for that region

When I tried to start Paper Mario TTYD, instead of where it normally said "Loading memory card", it said "No messages." (the placeholder text for when there is no text in the text table) and when I advanced the text box, the game crashed. Not quite sure what to make of this. In case you have not played the game, it loads the memory card immediately after advancing past the title screen with Start/A.

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad! I seem to be dumb. The issue seems to be that I need to change my Wii's language. I would have known this had I let the intro sequence play and seen that ALL text boxes say "No messages."

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

does the game crash with no memory card inserted? try another game

My bad! I seem to be dumb. The issue seems to be that I need to change my Wii's language. I would have known this had I let the intro sequence play and seen that ALL text boxes say "No messages."

Yes, see above. Sorry, I misdiagnosed. :) Any idea as to how I can get the Japanese font to work here, in this case?

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Why are you playing paper mario in japanese anyway? Hehe

I remember that the wii can handle Japanese and English gamecube save files on the same Real memory card.

But I have wii wode so I have to use homebrew apps to play other regions games.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I used gecko to load Japanese games via wii wode.

I want to play gamecube games but I don’t want to setup it and take it off later hehe .... I wish I could expand my house rooms for every generation so that every thing stays the same as I left them.

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used the Gecko homebrew thing, and launched the game with the Language option set to Japanese. I am not quite sure if this can be expected to work, but it didn't and all text boxes were "No messages." Not exactly sure how to tell the game that it is alright to use the Japanese language...

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
They say the Japanese language is not in the usa system ..... so maybe you need to install it

There is something called vidtv patch try it. It is beyond my time with the wii so I didn’t try it

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried swiss?

I'm not sure how compatible wii homebrew is with gamecube games.

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob. Mind going into detail on how I would use Swiss in this situation?

Edit: By the way, I do not have any special accessories for the Wii. Just an SD card in the front slot, and a GameCube controller.

Last edited by figboot,

figboot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try vidtv patch

...no. If I understand what the vidtv patch does, it just changes the analog video output format. North America and Japan both use NTSC, so this is not the issue. The issue seems to be that the Wii is trying to ask the game to use the English text when there is none.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool