Wii Fan

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by kyle007, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kyle007
    OP

kyle007 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2008
    United States
    Hey guys [​IMG] The fan on the back of my wii has been making this horrible grinding sound (I thought it was the disc drive actually when I heard it). I opened it up checked everything, seemed to be fine (made sure it wasn't jammed, cleaned out the dust inside the console and the fan etc etc). So I'm wondering where I can get a replacement? I've looked everywhere and I can only find either the Wiisper (which I don't wanna use) and ONE site that sells the OEM fan (but extremely overpriced). So my question is I believe the size of the wii fan is 40x40x20 mm is that correct?

Basically I'm wondering if I can use any old generic 40x40x20 fan with a 2 pin molex connector, or if I have to get one pretty much made specifically for the wii (I'm assuming any old fan that fits the specs would work) The only thing I can see different is those two screws in the wii fan, that others wouldn't have.

2. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    you can use any fan that matches the parameters
    but you need to check more than size
    -at least matches max voltage
    -does not exceed max current
    -at least matches produced airflow in dependence of voltage for all possible voltages
    the connector/cable can always be changed

buying one designed for wii might be easier unless you can check that or are willing to take a risk

3. x_r3ap3r_x

x_r3ap3r_x GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
  4. kyle007
    OP

kyle007 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2008
    United States
    Thanks guys [​IMG] Can someone confirm the specs for me? I believe the voltage and amps on the wii internal fan is 5V and 0.21A and as I said I believe its a 40mm fan, but I could be wrong on that as well.

5. x_r3ap3r_x

x_r3ap3r_x GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Well I just had a look at a spare Wii fan I have lying around and it says 5V 0.03A not 0.21A.