Hacking Wii ext3 support?

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this even possible? i think ive seen only one other time where this idea was discussed, but it didnt lead much of anywhere...so i repropose it.

ext3 support would be great, universal, and easily supported by linux and ppc based software. It also does not have the limitations that FAT32 has, hardly needs to be defrag'd to maintain effeciency, and in most cases is faster.

Is there any obstacle that is making this support impossible? With all the wii development and such, Im curious as to why this has never become a reality.

EDIT: what about this information here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Its an open source Ext2/3 platform independent filesystem driver. seems like a great place to start. thoughts?

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same reason why the wii doesn't support sdhc. No one has written drivers for it.
Normally Im all about open source and free software (speech and beer), but in this case, I have to disagree. Im sure fat16/32 is a much wider supported file system. Hell, my windows machines at home dont even have ext3 support installed, samba and ftp take care of everything. Also if you are a linux user, I dont know of any distros that don't come with fat16/32 support already enabled. (unless you make your own distro, in that case, you know enough to install the damn support anyways.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all