Hardware Wii dropped - no picture or sound

mickrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A friend has just contated me to say his wii was dropped and now it turns on, discs load and eject ok but no picture or sound. ANy idea what the problem might be, connectors etc inside or whatever, and is it possible to fix?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Well, if you really don't want to send it to Nintendo, you could always open up the Wii casing and take a look inside. But unless you're really handy at figuring out and fixing things, I wouldn't tamper with anything and just send it to Nintendo for repairs.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will not fix this if they check the internal software installed. I suggest getting someone hardware savy to open it up and check what is wrong. I think it is something to do with something inside being moved or knocked out of place.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No picture and no sound could be a broken Bluetooth module, but it also could be many other things. If you or your friend aren't good with repairing electronics the only way to get it fixed is to send it to Nintendo.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the consoles RCA plugs (yellow (video), Red (right audio) & White (left audio)) plugged in the TV with the other side plugged into the Wii? And the volume of the TV is reasonable?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo won't refuse to fix it, nintendo has never done that. What nintendo WILL do is tell you your wii has been modified and thus is no longer under warranty. They will tell you your system was modified and they will charge you between $100-150 to "fix" it (which will actually mean just transferring your saves over to another wii and sending you it) and put the latest firmware on it to make it more difficult to hack again.

That said, dropping your wii is also not covered under warranty... so sending it to nintendo would end up having the same price charged to you. At the going price for nintendo to fix out of warranty wii's it's usually better just to buy a new one.

(edit) Never mind the above, I was wrong. Nintendo will refuse to fix it and instead make you pay to ship it back. Neat.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Someone who kills his Wii always makes my day, sorry pal !!
tongue.gif

Pip'

fixityourself

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son pulled the wii console off a short bench and it landed on the front face of the wii. After that, just a blank screen when turned on. The green power light would come on and it would accept and eject discs, but nothing coming to the TV. I took everything apart by following these directions for disassembly and then found the bluetooth module. I pressed it into the motherboard and heard the clicking sound, suggesting it had come loose during the fall. I put it all back together and it works fine.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
fixityourself said:
My son pulled the wii console off a short bench and it landed on the front face of the wii. After that, just a blank screen when turned on. The green power light would come on and it would accept and eject discs, but nothing coming to the TV. I took everything apart by following these directions for disassembly and then found the bluetooth module. I pressed it into the motherboard and heard the clicking sound, suggesting it had come loose during the fall. I put it all back together and it works fine.

Was gonna suggest the same. The bluetooth module is a funny bugger that literally clips on to the motherboard and it doesn't take a lot of force to unclip it. I'd put money on its simply unclipped. Just gotta disassemble the wii, not hard, get new ones for £7.99 if its badly damaged but I'll bet its fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night