Hardware Wii doesn't play gamecube games anymore

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today I put in an original Gamecube retail disc into my Wii and to my surprise it didn't work. So I tried a few more games, but with the same result. The games are recognized in the Wii menu, but when I start them it's just a black screen. Wii games still work. And Gamecube games used to work just fine.

The only thing I did lately was installing DiosMios. Could this have something to do with it?

LiamGore

defenceplox
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dios mios wipes your mios settings. you can either have backups or retail. best bet is to rip all your gc disks and run all form backups.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Some versions of DIOS MIOS (Lite) had problem with retail games launched from Disc channel.
Maybe try with another DM(L) version.

I just tried.
DM2.09 : black screen
DM2.10 : works, but wrong video mode detected/used (wrong color in my Starfox adventure when switching to 60Hz)

For DIOS MIOS, you need a FAT32 HDD connected on port0 as it's trying to mount the HDD before launching the Disc.

It's better to launch gamecube Retail Disc using a Loader, it allows video mode forcing, language patch, etc.

dios mios wipes your mios settings. you can either have backups or retail. best bet is to rip all your gc disks and run all form backups.
This is not true, you can play both at the same time. You can run retail disc from disc channel or from a loader, and backups from a loader.
DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite are replacing the MIOS slot, but they still allow you to play retail discs.
QuadForce replace MIOS but doesn't allow GC games at all.
If something is broken, just re-write a clean MIOS v10.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using USBLoaderGX to launch retail disc with DIOS MIOS.
I don't know if other loaders (like DMLBooter) can launch game discs.

Did you already used DIOS MIOS with your currently connected HDD ?
DIOS MIOS need to properly mount the HDD, or else it's stays on a black screen in a HDD initialization loop.
Once the HDD is mounted, then you see the DIOS MIOS splash screen and GameCube Disc is launched.

Make sure your HDD works with DIOS MIOS + a GC backup to see if your problem is the HDD init.
or try DIOS MIOS Lite (I guess a SD card must be present to launch retail Disc if you use Lite)

Reactions: SpaceJump

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much Cyan, it works when my HDD is plugged in. I already used Dios Mios with HDD before but didn't have it plugged in at that time.

I remember problematic games like Starfox Adventures and Eternal Darkness. Do those run perfectly on Dios Mios (retail disc or USB)?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Starfox and Eternal Darkness require the retail disc (or disc backup+compatible modchip, like wikey1), due to audio streaming not working yet with DIOS MIOS (Lite).

Starfox has delayed subtitles and/or wrong audio played, E.D. has No music during gameplay.

You can check game compatibility here:
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/

Reactions: SpaceJump

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some versions of DIOS MIOS (Lite) had problem with retail games launched from Disc channel.
Maybe try with another DM(L) version.

I just tried.
DM2.09 : black screen
DM2.10 : works, but wrong video mode detected/used (wrong color in my Starfox adventure when switching to 60Hz)

For DIOS MIOS, you need a FAT32 HDD connected on port0 as it's trying to mount the HDD before launching the Disc.

It's better to launch gamecube Retail Disc using a Loader, it allows video mode forcing, language patch, etc.

This is not true, you can play both at the same time. You can run retail disc from disc channel or from a loader, and backups from a loader.
DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite are replacing the MIOS slot, but they still allow you to play retail discs.
QuadForce replace MIOS but doesn't allow GC games at all.
If something is broken, just re-write a clean MIOS v10.
Question: do any of the loaders even work anymore with dios mios? I've never had any luck with neogamma regardless of revision, honestly. :(

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Question: do any of the loaders even work anymore with dios mios? I've never had any luck with neogamma regardless of revision, honestly. :(
Neogamma stopped being updated a long time ago. I don't remember if it was ever able to run GC games from USB but if it did, I think it was only able to work with the first couple of beta versions of DM and no longer worked once they changed to a new setting format IIRC.

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar problem. I installed Dios Mios (USB), but now Super Smash Bros Melee loads but freezes when I try to start a game after selecting a stage. I am running from the disc.

I also can't launch the backups I've placed on my HDD. Black screen. USB Loader GX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4