Hacking Wii component quality across console revisions

andykara2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I wonder if any of the more knowledgable members can help me with this?

It is well known that the Wii has poor component image quality. Gamecube component is much clearer:

Example : http://retrorgb.com/gamecubevswii.html

Apparently, some of the later Wii hardware revisions had slightly better image quality than the earlier ones via component though.

I've been told that these are probably the later models - RVL-101 - the ones that had no Gamecube ports.

Does anyone have any more in depth information as to exactly which hardware revisions have this 'upgrade' in image quality?

Cheers :)

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If I am not mistaken... Any Wii with the D2-3(and newer) DVD chip also has the upgraded component.
So you are looking for 2010+ Wii types... Model # has escaped me.

andykara2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow - this could be extremely significant, thanks very much for your input. There are a load of us having an in depth look into this on the Shmups forums and we would value any additional info you have on this very much indeed :)

If I could ask a couple of questions?

Do you know of a source for this info & where I could find it?

Does that mean that all post 2010 models have this newer DVD chip and therefore the better component?

Following from this, could I then assume that all of the non-Gamecube-compatible Wiis have better quality component as they were introduced in 2011?

Thanks and very much appreciated, Andy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple