Hardware Wii component cable 480i vs. 480p?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both the official component cable which I purchased this week because I thought it may just be a cheap cable issue, but it's the same.
480i looks nice and crisp on my 46" LED LCD, but if I put it into 480p mode with either cable... it looks slightly blurry.

Anyone else experience the same thing? I would try to take pics but I only have my DSi XL to take them with.

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the original composite cable version (for 480i) and the third party component cable version (for 480p). And my TV is 46" LCD. I could see that when I use the component cable version (along with changing the setting in the Wii) the picture is better.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive got a set of 3rd party component cables and and the picture is noticeably better the using the componet cable for games that support 480p. my wii is hooked up to my 50" plasma.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking 480i on component and 480p on component. Throw composite completely out of the equation because I don't use them.

Look at the system menu using component cables and switch back and forth from 480i and 480p. Everything looks much sharper in 480i. Maybe it only looks better in games that support 480p, but looks like crap otherwise?

Just check the system menu and Wii settings and tell me how it looks on 480i vs 480p BOTH on component.

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, 480p setting is still definitely better than 480i for my case by keeping component cable for both settings.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
progress.jpg

------p ---------------------------i

the difference i and p is for moving objects

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmmm looking at this thread created me doubts

As far as I know the Wii console has 480p support.

What you are comparing is the 480p quality difference between an "i" and "p" cables?

In other words no matter if it is "i" or "p" cable it will activate the 480p not a "480i" like I seen in other forums (cause I think such resolution doesn't exist on a Wii.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@D34DL1N3R

I own different types of cables from Nyko to Gigaware to other brands I don't remember right now. In my TV I don't see any difference when using one over the other but I went to friend's houses and the display is better when using a specific brand in their TV's. So I think the TV Brand/Type is a key factor here.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I own samsung le32b650.
Wii in 480 P looks better and less blurry when there is a lot of action on screen.

Does your tv have progressive scan?

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Burton said:
What you are comparing is the 480p quality difference between an "i" and "p" cables?

In other words no matter if it is "i" or "p" cable it will activate the 480p not a "480i" like I seen in other forums (cause I think such resolution doesn't exist on a Wii.)

signal output from the console is formed with progressive or interlaced scanning, depending on the game
if you have the game supports progressive scan - image will be as shown on the left (interlaced - right)
480p - only component support

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hielkenator said:
I own samsung le32b650.
Wii in 480 P looks better and less blurry when there is a lot of action on screen.

Does your tv have progressive scan?
I have a samsung le32b450 and the picture is sharper and the picture is not pixelated when there is much move in comparision to 480i and a component cable.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may be that the "crispness" you see with 480i over 480p is due to lower resolution, hence the lines are more visible. The 480p will definitely show images better in high action/movement games... it will flow more smoothly as was show in the demo images above.

Just a preference thing, 480p is better resolution and display technically, and your tv settings may be modified to get the 480p image a little crisper by adjusting the "sharpness" up and brightness/contrast settings

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out the entire thing from the avs forums. If an HDTV accepts 480i through component, it will deinterlace the signal and scale it to the sets native resolution. If 480i looks better on your set than 480p, then your set has a better deinterlacer than the Wii.

So yeah. Cables are fine, TV is fine, Wii's deinterlacer suck... so I just set it to 480i and let my tv do the work.
smile.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ugh, the wii doesn't have/use a deinterlacer.
What you're saying is that an interlaced signal that has been deinterlaced by your tv looks better than the original progressive picture...

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
zizer said:
you're wrong

Who's wrong and for what reason?

QUOTE(w!! @ Jan 30 2011, 08:32 PM)
It may be that the "crispness" you see with 480i over 480p is due to lower resolution, hence the lines are more visible. The 480p will definitely show images better in high action/movement games... it will flow more smoothly as was show in the demo images above.

Just a preference thing, 480p is better resolution and display technically, and your tv settings may be modified to get the 480p image a little crisper by adjusting the "sharpness" up and brightness/contrast settings

resolution is the same

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a samsung 46" led un46c6300 and the component cables make a big difference compared to the composite cables. however i have not tried 480i vs 480p using the component cables. in any case, no set of cables come close to dolphin on my pc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a thing there