Wii-cast

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wii-Nis, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2009

Wii-cast by Wii-Nis at 4:59 PM (4,212 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. Wii-Nis
    OP

Newcomer Wii-Nis Advanced Member

United States
    given the hardware specs for both systems it is possible for the wii to emu DC games, but is anyone trying? I would love to play MvC2 on the Wii

2. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Seems like Dreamcast is a bitch to emu since there isnt really a close to perfectly working one for any system....

3. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    It shouldn't be impossible, as it looks like it'll be released on Virtual Console soon. (Sega have re-trademarked many dreamcast titles recently).

4. tsampiras

Newcomer tsampiras Advanced Member

Greece
    A dreamcast game can be up to ~4.8GB, VC and Wiiware's max filesize is 50MB ~300-400blocks
    Says who?

I believe Q (creator of REZ) is making a spiritual sucessor to REZ but SEGA didn't agreed to make a sequel. Maybe because of a REZ sequel/port to wii/ds?
    I hope so. Or a ps3 port I don't mind.

5. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I thought that GD-ROM disks can only hold 1.2gig.

6. _Alex_

Newcomer _Alex_ Member

Germany
    Dreamcast games can't be up to 4,8gb because the medium was GD-Rom so the max filesize for one image is 1,2gb... i think games like crazy taxy should be possible as wii ware titel!

7. kitt050383

Member kitt050383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    dreamcat games were 1.2gigz and the discs were GD-ROMS which was basically an advanced cd-rom format. Allot of the data on the game discs was just filler and was not needed....
    People use to remove it then put the utopia boot loader/code at the beginning of the disc and pad it (filler) so they didn't have to swap discs....

I loved Dreamcast and i still have it and play it.....

-kitt050383

8. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's VERY possible. Not only are gd-rom discs glorified cdrom discs, which as stated are merely 1.2 gigs in size, most titles didn't come anywhere near that limit and on top of that the audio can be compressed even further, making for an even smaller package. It'll be like tg-cd titles basically.... they'll fit, just don't expect to have more than one or two on your system at a time.

9. dottor_male

Member dottor_male GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    The Dreamcast is heavly optimized and difficult to emulate (is a home version of the NAOMI board for arcade machines, only with less ram) and even on PC there are currently only 2 emulators that works, and they do not boot every game or emulate them correctly or at full speed.
    I don't think that the Wii will ever be able to emulate it (maybe I'm wrong, but looking at the specs of the Dreamcast...).
    I think that Sega is considering porting the games, like with Skies of Arcadia for Gamecube, or making sequel or remake.
    Also, a DC game can take up to 1.2 Gb, or even more (like Shenmue, 3 GD-roms). Obviously not every game take up 1.2 Gb, but even so...

P.S. I have a Dreamcast, with a double arcade control stick (MvsC2 rulez) [​IMG]

10. jeremiz

Newcomer jeremiz Advanced Member

France
    Psone is not even well emulated on Wii, and you want a dreamcast emulator ? I say: lol.

11. MillionsKnives

Member MillionsKnives GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good old Dreamcast. Seriously though, you might as well just go buy one on ebay for like $40, Find a place to "get" games, and then burn them with DiskJuggler.

God it was so easy. There was no modification need at all to the system.

However, @ topic, it seems very unlikely that this will happen for the reasons stated above. Maybe SEGA will do some ports though because there sure were some sweet games. Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur, Rush 2049, Power Stone, etc.

I'm still glad I have mine. I might have to dust it off and hook it up for some good nostalgia. Gotta get some batteries for the damn VMUs though, lol.

12. thawkins1

Member thawkins1 GBAtemp Regular

United States

I guess everyone missed this part? [​IMG]

Really why did you quote that?

13. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    1.2GB does not fit into 512 MB of flash no matter how you slice it.

14. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sonic Adventure 2 DreamCast ISO: 648.0 MB
    Sonic Adventure DreamCast ISO: 681.5 MB
    They are both in rar archives.
    They'd take a while to download onto your Wii, and take more space than what the Wii can hold, but I heard something about an SD Solution, so you could read channels right off of your SD card. If this is implemented, there will probably be more pirating...
    People uploading their channels right from their SD card to others that can just download it, without having to softmod or hardmod their Wiis.

15. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hmm.. what if you slice it into 512 MB chunks and put them on one at a time?

(hehe just kidding)

16. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    except when you slice the dreamcast image down to a measly 50mb like taxi driver game and many others. i got 51 full dc games on my pc takin up only 17gb, do the math

17. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Ive been advocating "Dreamcast on Wii" like FOREVER. I hope someone decides to pick up this project...

18. masta21

Newcomer masta21 Member

United States
    i would LOVE to play powerstone on the wii

19. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    considering the fact that you could fit 4-5 rips to a DVD R its doable, emulating at a decent fps on the other hand i doubt it i would be happy to see more dc titles on the wii, but since a lot of the best can be found as GC titles and with gx geo and some are already ported to wii i would rather see CPS2 and CPS3 emulation but that could be because i have a pile of DC's already here.

20. Wii-Nis
    OP

Newcomer Wii-Nis Advanced Member

United States
    for those of you who said i should go buy a DC, i've had mine since 9/9/99....bought it and every launch title. i own just about 95% of all retail DC games (NTSC-U & J) Second i never said i wanted to install the DC games on the Wii, just play them on it. and the dreamcast board is a naomi mini me, the wii ati card has more "latent" power then the entire dreamcast board, and to clarify a gd-rom only has 1024mb, or 1 gb.

devolpers of wii games claim the power of ati's hollywood chip, which is dual core, is somewhere in between a radeon x1400 and x1600.

the wii has more then enough power to emulate a DC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.