Wii cannot write to SD card

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Fisher Vargas de Moraes, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Fisher Vargas de Moraes
    OP

Fisher Vargas de Moraes Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Hello everybody!!
    I'm having a problem with my Wii not writing to SD anymore.
    It was working about 2 days ago very fine. I have removed the SD and put on PC to transfer some files.
    Now, everytime the Wii tries to write something to SD I get an error.
    Tried other SD card, same thing.
    Tried the SD on a PC, worked fine.
    Disassembled the Wii and checked the sensors, as far as I know they're fine.
    Soo... I'm out of ideas for now!
    Anyone has any suggestion??

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    You can try to replace the SD slot on the Wii.

A lot of the homebrew stuff you can use the SD for can be done with USB drives instead, so if that's what you're mainly using the SD for, that maybe something to consider.

3. Fisher Vargas de Moraes
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Hmmm interesting!! Maybe I can run USBLoaderGX and the other emulators entirely from hdd...
    Seems a good option!
    Anybody knows if its just a matter of coping the folders to hdd or some other thing needs to be done too?
    I don't know about changing the slot, it reads everything fine. I only have problems writing...

4. DoTheDonkeyKonga

DoTheDonkeyKonga Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2014
    Liverpool, UK
    What is the error message you're getting?

It's a long shot but have you tried reformatting the SD card? Obviously you'll need to backup the contents first!

5. Fisher Vargas de Moraes
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Well, on USBLoaderGX I get no message, it just stop finding the covers and locks out.
    On the standard Wii menu I get a message saying the card is locked when I try to copy a save to SD card.
    Gotta try format the thing. The weird part is that it was working fine in the beginning of the week and it stills works fine on PC.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    There might be something blocking the write-protect sensor in the SD slot. The switch on the side of the card isn't connected to anything electrically; it's sensed by a small switch inside of the slot.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You didn't accidentally switch the write protection switch to the lock position? If it's in the bottom position try moving it back. Even if you're sure you didn't do that, it could happen by accident when you insert the card into the reader. A lot of PC SD card readers don't have the sensor that checks the switch, that could explain why it works fine on your PC but not on the Wii.

8. Fisher Vargas de Moraes
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2012
    Brazil
    When I looked with a multimeter on the Wii's SD slot, the switch just was connected to ground when I inserted the card.
    Is this the expected behavior?

9. Fisher Vargas de Moraes
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Hey!!! A VERY weird thing happened!!
    I started playing with the SD lock switch, same behaviour on both positions.
    Then, at a time I inserted the card locked and got a different message: No SD card present.
    Pretty weird!! Than I changed the key to the unlock position and it started to work!!
    I just can't figure out what was happening!! Everything seems to be working fine by now.
    Maybe the SD slot is somehow defective, suffering from some kind of bad contacts or...
    The planets just got a different alignment with the moon and the north wind made the things work :ha:.
    Who knows!!?
    Maybe I should not laugh from my older teacher who said that technology is an inexact science!!:blink:
    Thanks for everyone who helped!!