Hacking Wii cannot read disk (original or backup)

lenitao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, everyone

I've had the Wii for 2 years and everything was fine but now it does not read ANY disk (original or backup), does this mean that there's something wrong with the DVD drive or is there any chance the problem is somewhere else!?

I want to know, before i get a new drive for example, please help.

*also, i had Wiikey installed (it was working fine for 1 year or smth), removed it but still same thing, installed Backup Launcher (dvd read error), downgraded and updated and still nothing.

some rare times the Wii recognizes the disk but when i choose start it says to reset power (that black screen), Wii Menu, WiiWare and everything works fine, just can't read disk

should i buy a new dvd drive, that flatmii thing or a new wii?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds to me like the eye is either dirty and needs cleaning or is pretty much shot. You could try a cleaner disk to see if it will fix the problem but If it doesn't your best bet is likely a new drive (if you can buy them?)

lenitao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for replying, i cleaned the eye about 6 months ago using alcohol or smth when SSBB wasn't working, and since SSBB is double layer and was working 1 week ago, maybe it's not the eye

when i put the disk in, it sounds like it spins for some seconds and then it stops, i don't know why

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will spin as long as the motor's good. If the eye can't read the disk then it will stop spinning and the wii will not pickup the disk. Like I said sounds to me like the eye is shot.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible but unlikely that it's a software issue - some people have been reporting problems after doing some things with softmii etc.

To rule this out - try to borrow a friend's wii and see if their drive works OK in yours. To me, it sounds like the laser is on the way out.

You could try a new laser assembly -> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14791 which would still allow you to use your wiikey because your old DMS/D2A/D2B board would be retained.

Otherwise, you could get a replacement DVD-ROM - eg http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16025 It'll be a D2C though, so will need a newer mod chip. You could possibly swap out the boards if you're feeling brave.

lenitao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SenorClean said:
It's possible but unlikely that it's a software issue - some people have been reporting problems after doing some things with softmii etc.

To rule this out - try to borrow a friend's wii and see if their drive works OK in yours. To me, it sounds like the laser is on the way out.

You could try a new laser assembly -> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14791 which would still allow you to use your wiikey because your old DMS/D2A/D2B board would be retained.

Otherwise, you could get a replacement DVD-ROM - eg http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16025 It'll be a D2C though, so will need a newer mod chip. You could possibly swap out the boards if you're feeling brave.

thanks a lot of replying

it's a great idea to borrow a friend's drive, but i think i shouldn't, if i mess up their Wii I'll feel very bad

the first link, lol, i have no idea how to replace that part : P

the second link is quite useful, thanks!!

but if i replace the dvd drive with that one, will everything else function properly, except the wiikey?

lenitao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok guys, thanks for your help,

now i'm pretty much sure that the dvd drive has a problem and not the wii software since some time ago i put Metroid Prime 3 original into the Wii and the game loaded fine, passed the caution screen and then the black screen appeared while showing the "Metroid Prime 3 loading" thing as normal, which means that the drive reads the disk veeeery slowly or most of the times not at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill