Homebrew Wii Browser

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm working on some new features: in-browser pdf reader, new rendering engine, video player. They're mostly functional but none is ready to be released.
So, will we ever live to see the day that we can watch streaming Anime episodes on a web browser in our Wii? ^_^

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi XICO2KX ;) I'm afraid I won't work on this project anymore. Anyway the project is open source maybe someone will pick up the slack. Thank you all for your support

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If one day someone wants to make another alternative web browser for the Wii/WiiU,
you might want to give TenFourFox a try! B-)

tenfourfox.jpg

It's an open source, actively developed, port of Firefox optimized for (low-end systems with) the IBM PowerPC G3 architecture, the same CPU type as the Wii/WiiU. :yayu: :yaywii:
One of the main advantages of having this on the Wii, is that it supports HTML5 Video off-the-shelf for a wide variety of video streaming websites! :grog:

I think what is left to do is to re-implement the GUI (buttons, message boxes, etc) so it works on the Wii with the Wiimote instead of on MacOS with the mouse, and probably optimize it to use the Wii GX's video hardware acceleration! :gun:

Last edited by XICO2KX,

HangmanHorror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
If one day someone wants to make another alternative web browser for the Wii/WiiU,
you might want to give TenFourFox a try! B-)

I think it's time to bump this thread, now that Youtube on the Wii is dead,
Wiibrowser was almost the perfect browser for the Wii, if it didn't lack the flash video reading abilities.

My request/suggestions to bring youtube back are :

- Update Wiimc to make youtube work on it again (like it used to)
- Update Wiibrowser to implement flash video
- Port TenFouFox to the Wii as XICO2JX suggested, sounds like a really great idea.

What do y'all think ?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you have no idea the difficulty of porting something like that to a console. There is no operating system. Everything the browser hooks into on a normal computer must be implemented from scratch from the video rendering to the file system.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
adding to that youtube has no interest in keeping old devices connected. if you think its bad for the wii imagine those people who bought the first set of smart tvs

HangmanHorror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
adding to that youtube has no interest in keeping old devices connected. if you think its bad for the wii imagine those people who bought the first set of smart tvs

Right i hear you !
By the way i'm a fan of your Newo Runner homebrew game. I read on your Wiibrew page that you were good at writing web application in PHP and etc, i think i need your help,
now hear me out, i read that you're not big on wanting to bring back youtube to the Wii but basically, Wiimc, (the best media player for the Wii) used to be able to run Youtube just fine through PHP, at "http://www.wiimc.org/media/youtube.php" , the website hasn't updated in quite some time, so now it says "File not found".

But would you be able to implement youtube.php to some other website ? because thats litterally all it takes.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I have no idea what that page even does since I do not have the original source code. And worse yet that page has been offline for so long that whatever was in there is probably long out dated.

ayy_lmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiBrowser is outdated and no longer works, sad.
If i had a skills of a developer, would try to port chromium browser or something to Wii.

tesses4you

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about how they got libcurl to compile on the wii cause I could not figure it out

I had to use the existing copy and older libogc for my project

Bastiro03

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some time ago, I attempted to take over the WiiBrowser project and thoroughly cleaned up the original code, resulting in WiiBrowser Lite. For the sake of completeness, it is appropriate to mention it here. Please search for my username on GitHub (it is the same as my username on GBAtemp) since I am unable to post links at this time.

If anyone decides to revive the idea of a web browser for Wii, feel free to use my work as a base. It was originally created by gave92.

Reactions: newo and I pwned U!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34