Hacking Wii boots to blacks screen

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So out of stupidity I installed the latest IOS60. Now my wii boots to a blank screen. I tried the recovery menu but my 3rd party controller will not get me into recovery.
I've just ordered a wasabi dx chip so I can try to restore it. Just wondering if anyone know if this will work with autoboot. Or does anyone have any experience with this chip?

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Ok let me explain you something:
If you install a stub and if this stub IOS is used by systemmenu you'll get a brick. coz stubs are "empty" IOS and cannot execute code.

With an autoboot capable modchip you'll certainly able to play games (since game don't use IOS60) but your systemenu is fucked up. Maybe if you have some trucha capable IOSes you can autoboot a HCB from DVD (with a modchip) but I never do it myself

Wait for a 4.2 DVD update (can take a looooong time) to unbrick your wii (or get a NAND dump, your keys and key for the dump, use Betwiin, an Infectus, patience, ... to fix this)

Good luck

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about an wad manager autoboot disc or the bootmii autoboot disc I was able to find on here. i do have bootmii installed but was only able to do it an ios and when I installed ios60 it over wrote preloader.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
bah an autoboot wad manager is pretty the same as an autoboot HBC, at least the HBC allow you tu run other HB to fix it (anyway it'll be a 30s fix
wink.gif
)

If you only have bootmii as IOS and you find a way to run it, that can help, i the way you'éé able to run HBC

Now you speak about preloader, are you sure that your IOS60 has been patched for prelaoder? coz it can explain the blackscreen thing

Have you try to run preloader? and sorry but I haven't used preloader for ages (since 3.2 systemmenu) so I don't now much about the new requirment

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Im assumin that you have NTSC-U console? Once the chip arrives, you can run an NTSC-U copy of SSBB and run Smash Stack and you should be able to run WadManager/DOP-IOS to restore a working IOS60. Sound about right chaps?

The WasabiDX autoboots, so you should be OK

http://www.hanger.org.uk/h/hangershop/prod...C-UK-STOCK.html

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
Im assumin that you have NTSC-U console? Once the chip arrives, you can run an NTSC-U copy of SSBB and run Smash Stack and you should be able to run WadManager/DOP-IOS to restore a working IOS60. Sound about right chaps?

The WasabiDX autoboots, so you should be OK

http://www.hanger.org.uk/h/hangershop/prod...C-UK-STOCK.html

SSBB doesn't autoboot at all.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sweet so not all is lost. My wii is NTSC-U. And as long as I can boot soemthing to install my previous ios60 then I should be ok. I tried getting into preloader but no go. Just black screens. The chip should be here in a couple of days so I guess we'll see then.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
fringle said:
I tried the recovery menu but my 3rd party controller will not get me into recovery.

I don't understand what you mean here. Do you mean you DID up,down,left,right (at same time) etc and it doesn't go to this menu, OR do you mean you can't do the up,down,left right etc ?

If you can't get to this menu then a chip can't autoboot a game iic.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I read it could be autobooted, but I will have to go with the majority here. I too haven't tried this exploit, so sorry if I've misinformed. Would Indiana pwns be possible via autoboot then?

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I took my controller apart and was able to press all the buttons at once but also read that a lot of 3rd party controllers do not allow you into recovery and a nintendo branded controller is better for it

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
fringle said:
I took my controller apart and was able to press all the buttons at once but also read that a lot of 3rd party controllers do not allow you into recovery and a nintendo branded controller is better for it

All I know is that some poepel say on some 3rd party controllers you CAN push them all at once WITHOUT taking it apart (I use a dance mat).

If the controller is Nintendo OR 3rd party, the same instructions are sent on pushing the D-Pad.

Hope you get sorted.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know I have a really cheap brand controller so maybe it doesn't work or my timing is way off. I'll keep trying when I get home tonight but wouldn't think installing IOS60 would criple it that bad that recovery can't be loaded

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Your timing ? You just hold all 4 direction at the same time while the power is off, keep them held and power on. So it's not hard and doesn't require exact timing, just as long as they are kept held when booting, and it takes only a second or two to get into the recovery menu so you will know in under 10 seconds of booting.

The recovery menu iirc relies on the sysmenu + the sys menu IOS working to boot into it.

SSBB WONT autoboot.

If you know anyone with a chip that clips into their Wii (non solder) borrow that before spending any money.If you can borrow one, before removing from your friends Wii go into its setup menu and set it to autoboot before removing it.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slimmmmmm said:
The recovery menu iirc relies on the sysmenu + the sys menu IOS working to boot into it.

You're right there. The recovery menu is a part of the system menu, not part of boot0/1/2, so it needs a working system menu IOS. OP, your Wii is bricked man. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well see I was under the impression that you had to power on the wii then hold the buttons. I will try again later. I know my system menu is inteact just installed IOS60 downloaded though NUS. So a modchip with autoboot enabled should work right? Or does that also rely on the system menu IOS.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Slimmmmmm said:

You're right there. The recovery menu is a part of the system menu, not part of boot0/1/2, so it needs a working system menu IOS. OP, your Wii is bricked man. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Thanks for confirming this for me, I was away searching and reading up.

One problem this thread has raised is this.....

People say thins like "don't delete an IOS" they mean also "don't update/overwrite or change an IOS without reading up first".

ALL changes to IOS are BAD ! ! ! (not really, but mostly if done uninformed)

@ the OP, you're not out of options if this is the case though, you can send to Nintendo, or use a nand flasher or a few other ideas I wont say as they are dangerous, experimental and would require much more hassle than those 2 ideas.

Hope you get a working Wii soon and learn from this m8.

*EDIT*
OP posted again after me...
If you can install IOS etc, you're fine. Chips autoboot feature is VERY much the same as the recovery menu.

How did you manage to install the IOS ?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The system menu can't run without it's IOS. What you're wanting to do is sort of like trying to run games on a pc with no OS (well not really, but enough for arguments sake).

Edit: I'm guessing a chips autoboot feature works a bit like Wii BootMe, in which case you need a working system menu, as it's still that which launches the disc.

And yep, an infectus etc could help, but, and I hope fringle doesn't get insulted by this, I thought that might be a bit out of his comfort zone.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
There is still the opportunity to autoboot HBC (I mean if he has a trucha capable IOS36 (or the IOS used by HBC version on the autoboot DVD)

But the savemiifrii won't work since your IOS60 is a stub

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it is still under warrenty, so nintendo might be an option if the chip fails to autoboot a disc for me. I'll just keep the chip incase it comes back with the 4.2 update on it. Just not sure if they will turn around and charge me for fixing it due to homebrew apps being loaded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...