Wii booting to black screen

Tara44555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wii has started to boot up to a black screen and I haven’t modded it. Also my wii remote is still connecting so what’s wrong. Plz help

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
can you boot on Recovery Mode?

Enter Recovery Mode on your Wii.: This can be done quite simply. Just plug a GC controller into port 4 and as you power on your Wii, repeatedly press all directions on the D-Pad

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately there isn't much we can do on a Wii without access to homebrew software – which will sometimes(!) works even if the official software doesn't.

There are a few general things to try (or better say: rule out)
  • Remove all stuff connected to the Wii if any (SD card, USB devices, GameCube controllers and GameCube Memory Cards)
  • Try another power adapter and TV cable
  • Try your power adapter and TV cable on a working Wii
This way we can narrow the thing down to the point where we know if the console itself is the problem.

Only a few vague ideas:

An interrupted an official update (power failure) might cause such problems. I don't know any way to fix this with software methods. Maybe SaveMii (free)?

The Wii is known to not boot correctly (black screen) if Bluetooth and/or WiFi chip aren't connected or aren't working. Since the Wii Remote connects it is unlikely to be a Bluetooth issue. Reseat the WiFi chip. Try another WiFi chip.

There is a known problem with a defective voltage regulator on the motherboard causing similar symptoms (but a bit worse even): Wii Remote can turn on the console, but never connects and there is no signal (not black screen/black signal).

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you do get a notification, and your screen is black, there is something wrong with your Wii.

If you don't get a notification, that means you have a fault in your video cables (Red, White, Yellow) or you haven't set your TV correctly, and your Wii is fine.
This is a good idea for a first orientation. However, it cannot be used with 100% accuracy. Like I mentioned above there is a known hardware fault that will result in no signal.

If it's the first option, and there is something wrong with your Wii. You can fix it if you have a Gamecube controller. Plug the Gamecube controller into Port 4 on the top of your Wii under the top flap and when powering on, quickly press all four directions on the Gamecube controller to access the recovery menu on unmodded Wiis.
SaveMiiFrii would be indeed the thing I would try here. To my knowledge it won't repair anything on its own and will require an autoboot disc – and therefore a modchip – since we can't produce discs that are accepted by unmodified consoles with simple consumer burners.
It might install an update from an official disc (if available), so providing a game with highest version is worth a try.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1