Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the SHA-1 hash verification is a better idea. If every "used" file can be successfully decrypted and the headers etc. are in tact, the game should be 100% playable. Since most people store scrubbed games, it makes more sense to use a verification method that doesn't rely on having the full unscrubbed image. It also means that any disc can be checked on-the-fly without the need for storing a list of valid hashes or any kind of pre-calculation.

I've never really been interested in using full disc images. I haven't even coded a 1:1 copy mode that exists in libWBFS because I don't see any point to keeping the junk data. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh or whatever, it's just always been my opinion, even before I started with WBM.
Not harsh at all.
Having a database where you can verify your scrubbed images is certainly ideal, there just isn't one at the moment. I don't advocate for keeping garbage data, I simply verify my dumps in their full ISO form, since it is the only way I have. This is not too much of a hassle to do with a few tools, so I can continue to do that until there are other ways.

Thanks!

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
Another way to verify is to use the internal check sums. This covers the not the whole disc, because the disc header (first 320 KiB) and the holes between partitions have no checksums. This works for the different kinds of scrubbing. I use it always to verify my images.
since it is the only way I have
There is another way, like Wiimm mentioned in his post too.

Using the internal SHA-1 hashes, it's possible to check for corrupt data using only the Wii disc image itself. Wiimm's tools and WBM have functions to do this. If even 1 byte of data is wrong in the "used" parts of the disc, the error will show up during the test.

Edit: Updated the quote. :)

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another way to verify is to use the internal check sums. This covers the not the whole disc, because the disc header (first 160 KiB) and the holes between partitions have no checksums. This works for the different kinds of scrubbing. I use it always to verify my images.
since it is the only way I have
There is another way, like Wiimm mentioned in his post too.

Using the internal SHA-1 hashes, it's possible to check for corrupt data using only the Wii disc image itself. Wiimm's tools and WBM have functions to do this. If even 1 byte of data is wrong in the "used" parts of the disc, the error will show up during the test.
Ah, OK. It went over my head the first time.
I will most certainly give this a try.
Thanks for your patience and support.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A note:
The disc header size is 320 KiB (10 sectors x 32 KiB), not only 160 KiB.
I have already edited my message to fix this mistake hours ago.
OK, noted.
I played yesterday with WBM's SH-1 check function. I had seen it before, but did not know it checked the image against internal checksums. This totally changes the game for me and gives me a great new option.
Thanks for the tip.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy one for you guys:
What is the url for the larger wiitdb.xml file that WBM downloads to display game info?
The one available for download from the gametdb website, is a smaller version that does not have WiiWare / VC info, which I use for my forwarder ISO's.
I managed to make a copy of the file in the brief time that WBM makes a temporary copy of it, before converting it to wiitd.db, but would rather download it directly the next time.

ancient

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Could someone please tell me, when formatting a drive as wbfs, what should I set the physical sector size as?

On the old version it was default as auto but this new version does not have auto?

Thanks for any help

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
Just use the default setting; the physical sector size.

The other options were supposed to be to allow more than 500 games on WBFS drives, but since it's never been implemented in a cIOS, they're pretty much useless.

The "Sector size" above the drop down box should be changed to "Block size" to save this confusion.

edmp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently got me a WD 2TB MyBook external drive. Using WBM, it's been formatted as 1 big WBFS partition using 2048 bytes as sector size (if I remember correctly).

I put some games on it and it worked fine with USB Loader GX 2.3. Now I moved some more games on there (from my NAS), which looks ok except for 3 titles that are listed in WBM in a black font instead of blue (indicating they don't match the titles list I think).
2 of them showing garbage characters in the first 3 columns (Game ID, Game title, Original Title) both sized 8.75GB and the 3rd with some French text, sized 4.75GB. When I select these 3 titles and do a "Remove -> selected", the log shows "Failed to remove disc" for all 3 and "Error reading disc" for the one with the French text.
Any other way to remove these invalid titles from the WBFS partition?

I also had 1 title that failed to move from my NAS to the external disk. I did a SHA-1 hash verification on it, which showed that the ciso was corrupt. Would it be an option to include something like the "Error reading block" message from the SHA-1 check, in addition to the "Transfer failed" during a failed transfer attempt?

Setup details
##########
Windows XP SP3
WBM o.4.5 build 78 (x86)

Greets,
Ed

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oh and the 2k thing... WBM now lets you choose the sector size when formatting, to avoid the 500 titles limit of the default sector size.
sector size is a physical property of the drive
if it works for you with the wrong size good
but don't expect it to work everywhere

eg the fat fs uses it too, and I expect interesting things to happen if it is converted with wbfs2fat
but for lack of a physical drive I can't test it atm

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem as I haven't read through all the posts since figs latest return but with the latest version trying to use/download the titles.text always fails and ends with me having to open up task manager and forcing the process to end. I don't have access to the log right now but I can post it later. It keeps saying it can't access titles.txt on my hdd because it doesn't exist but that is because it is using the worng folder. I have it set to a different folder than default and it worked fine in previous releases but the latest version (first one I used since I noticed you returned) is having issues. Once I copied titles.txt to the default folder the issue went away. Don't know why it was doing it, as it did download to the folder I have it set to even though it ended up throwing an exception every time.

bulinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi,

I'm using WBM 0.4.5 build 78 (x64) and I'm having issue with batch dvd backup. When I start it, it rips first disc without problems, ejsct the drive and asks to isnert another dvd. After the disc is inserted, WBM fails with errors in log, and blocks access to drive 2 (destination drive). If I ry to exit WBM it says that I need to wait for the process to be finished.

I'm in a process of backing up my dvd collection so I wanted it to go semi-automatic in a batch...

Best Regards!

Snowmanne

Trophies
Website
Snowmanne.DeviantArt.com
XP
Country
United States
I was copying Wii Sports to my WBFS drive with wbm 0.4.5 Build 78 and the transfer keeped failing. When it was finaly trasfered the free space of my drive is wrong, it's like I copied two Wii Sports but only one appears. Is there a way to check my drive some how.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.