Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

Bluee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fig, I think I figured out the reason behind my slow transfers. My WD 750GB appears to be the problem, combined with the program. Some catastrophic I/O errors clued me in
smile.gif

I tested with a different physical drive and the speeds were closer to what you mentioned. With further testing, the fastest speeds I got were the usage of 3 different physical drives. Drive 1 has the program and temp files (SATA, NTFS), Drive 2 is the write source (SATA, NTFS), and Drive 3 is the read source (USB, WBFS). That gave me about 4 minutes for 2.6GB transfer. Making Drive 1 the write source and removing Drive 2 from the picture, that same transfer increased a minute to 5 minutes total.

These two drives tested were identical Seagate 320GBs. It appears that temp files definitely do slow down transfer speeds. An on-the-fly method, as you already know, would be even faster and should produce transfer speeds similar to WBFS Manager 3.0's transfer speeds. The operations aren't quite the same, of course.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
I've just added version 0.2.2. See the change log for the fixes n stuff.

QUOTE said:
These two drives tested were identical Seagate 320GBs. It appears that temp files definitely do slow down transfer speeds. An on-the-fly method, as you already know, would be even faster and should produce transfer speeds similar to WBFS Manager 3.0's transfer speeds. The operations aren't quite the same, of course.

Indirect Drive to Drive is always going to be much slower. I'm looking forward to Direct transfers too.
smile.gif

pokemonfan4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I transfer game to my hdd does it extract the game so its in a smaller size?
Sorry if this info is in the front page it's too much info for me
tongue.gif

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
WBFS>ISO = Full size ISO, but uses sparse files if supported (Check the disk usage in file properties)
smile.gif

WBFS>CISO = scrubbed size

ISO/CISO>WBFS or .wbfs = scrubbed size

You can remove update partitions etc. too, look in settings dialog.

BTW, I'll need to clean up the main post soon eh?
tongue.gif
Maybe add a feature list and some useful information.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Having difficulty with smash bros brawl..... every time i try 2 get it to my drive, it leaves me with nothing

anyone help me out here? i dunno whtat the problem is, it gets about halfway through before it "Finishes" leaving no error

it seems a little odd that the iso i got is half the size it says in the manager though, i think it is expecting the larger DVD9 one or something, anyone know how to fix this?

gaalex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best BACKUP MANAGER! Thanks!

Just one question. Does it support to uncompress multiple volume RARs on the fly when transferring a zipped ISO to a WBFS partition?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@TeenTin
No ISOCISO yet.

@Missing Number
Where are you transferring from/to? It sounds like you're doing drive to drive since it fails half way. Check to see if there's enough space on both, the drive where the temp folder is and the destination drive. It could be that it's failing to write the temp CISO due to lack of space. Just guessing...

@giorgosh
No idea. Were you doing drive to drive transfers, or transferring an ISO to a drive?

@gaalex
Multiple volume RARs should work on the fly. The unRAR dll does this automatically. (There's notification of it, but nothing I can do at that point except cancel the operation.)

I'm going to spend some time getting the debug log working, so I can track down the phantom transfers etc. Failing with no explanation is just plain bad, sorry about that..
smile.gif

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Missing Number said:
Having difficulty with smash bros brawl..... every time i try 2 get it to my drive, it leaves me with nothing

anyone help me out here? i dunno whtat the problem is, it gets about halfway through before it "Finishes" leaving no error

it seems a little odd that the iso i got is half the size it says in the manager though, i think it is expecting the larger DVD9 one or something, anyone know how to fix this?

I had a similar issue with Family Feud. I would try to convert it from ISO to wbfs going from a folder on my laptop (downloaded ISO's) to another folder on my laptop (WBFS) and it would go through the whole process, but there would be nothing in the wbfs folder when done.

It turned out to be a bad ISO, I re-downloaded the ISO and tried again and it was fine.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
anyone else getting multiple entries in the games list(HDD)? seems to be happening in every release ive tried.

also when adding ISO's not all show up in the list even though a dialogue box shows "Adding 4 Of 7" yet only shows 3 and yet they are not on the HDD to be ignored?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
pepxl said:
1. anyone else getting multiple entries in the games list(HDD)? seems to be happening in every release ive tried.

2. also when adding ISO's not all show up in the list even though a dialogue box shows "Adding 4 Of 7" yet only shows 3 and yet they are not on the HDD to be ignored?

1. Haven't seen that, can you send a screenshot or better, a video? With Duplicate files allowed in the file list, it's possible to add duplicates to the drive just now too. I'll fix that. Also, are they really duplicates, or entries that have been renamed incorrectly? There was an indexing problem in earlier versions that could've caused that to happen.

2. There's loads of reasons for that. "4 of 7" shows that it's trying to add file 4 but if it's already in the list, is a rar with no ISO, isn't a valid Wii disc etc. it won't actually be added. The debug log will make this clearer. I'm working on that now.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
ill post a screeny as soon as i can hook my HDD up, its actually duplicate entries on the HDD list of games already on but using other managers only show a single entry for the games listed.

when adding ISO's they are all .ISO format and valid Wii Disk's and none are currently on the HDD so im not sure why the manager is only allowing only a few of the selected ISO's to be added to the list, if all goes well with the debug log that might shine some light on to the situation

morgoth123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Windows doesnt provide my perfectly valid en 100% working WBFS partition a drive letter anymore when i connect the USB drive. Could you improve the WBFS detection mechanism please to not only use windows drive letters but include a partition like " WBFS@PhysicalDrive3Partition2 " so that your tool can be used by people who dont get a drive letter for their WBFS partition too (and no it's NOT possible to "add" a drive letter either without destroying the whole WBFS partition). Would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

madsap

Trophies
XP
Country
I think this program really rocks
smile.gif

I have added some ISO files, but every time i try to use Tools -> Covers -> Download all, it starts to download some covers and then stop. Trying once again it download a bit more and then stop. I can keep doing this until all covers has been downloaded, but it is a little trivial.
The dialog "URL X of Y" is counting and Y if is decreasing for every run.
In the Options, Settings, Covers I have selected to download only Flat and Disc, but that seems to make no difference.

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
morgoth123 said:
Windows doesnt provide my perfectly valid en 100% working WBFS partition a drive letter anymore when i connect the USB drive. Could you improve the WBFS detection mechanism please to not only use windows drive letters but include a partition like " WBFS@PhysicalDrive3Partition2 " so that your tool can be used by people who dont get a drive letter for their WBFS partition too (and no it's NOT possible to "add" a drive letter either without destroying the whole WBFS partition). Would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
I guess you have the wbfs partition on an partition of type exteded which is an invalid setup. If that is the case, cfg loader v47 allows you to fix that by changing the partition type from extended to data. That will let you assign a drive letter to the partition again. Note: filesystems should only reside on primary data partitions or logical data partitions, never on extended partitions.

giorgosh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
giorgosh said:
Oh no..! I think it froze while i was moving 2 ISOs from my other USB Drive.. Now?

Just noticed something wrong in the Wii USB Ports.. My USB Drive has 2 usb cables one for connection and one for power. I noticed that they need to be inserted in their certain ports otherwise, if vice versa, Wii does not recognize the drive or the drive does not switch on. Anyone noticed that>

morgoth123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oggzee said:
morgoth123 said:
I guess you have the wbfs partition on an partition of type exteded which is an invalid setup. If that is the case, cfg loader v47 allows you to fix that by changing the partition type from extended to data. That will let you assign a drive letter to the partition again. Note: filesystems should only reside on primary data partitions or logical data partitions, never on extended partitions.

Thanks for the reply Oggzee but no thats the case...it's a primary partition..i did everything by the book. I also know for a fact more people have this problem of the " missing" drive letter after reconnect.
But then again to use a drive letter for a non-native windows partition is not "good practise" anyway in my view since Windows doesn't support drive letters for non windows partitions (and it shouldnt either cause it doesnt make sense anyway cause the partition wont be accessible to the OS / explorer anyway without special driver)

So my request remains!!

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
fig2k4 said:
pepxl said:
1. anyone else getting multiple entries in the games list(HDD)? seems to be happening in every release ive tried.

2. also when adding ISO's not all show up in the list even though a dialogue box shows "Adding 4 Of 7" yet only shows 3 and yet they are not on the HDD to be ignored?

1. Haven't seen that, can you send a screenshot or better, a video? With Duplicate files allowed in the file list, it's possible to add duplicates to the drive just now too. I'll fix that. Also, are they really duplicates, or entries that have been renamed incorrectly? There was an indexing problem in earlier versions that could've caused that to happen.

2. There's loads of reasons for that. "4 of 7" shows that it's trying to add file 4 but if it's already in the list, is a rar with no ISO, isn't a valid Wii disc etc. it won't actually be added. The debug log will make this clearer. I'm working on that now.

heres a screenshot of the duplicate files on my WBFS HDD

66567370.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!