Wii at 1080p?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Trash_Bandatcoot, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    If Dolphin can do it (even higher than 1080p), why can't actual hardware with an upscaler?
    0000000100000002-10.

Even the NES has a special modchip that enables 720p to 1080p without having a blurry mess.

Sathya likes this.
  2. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I mean in theory it's probably not impossible to jump raw digital video off the console motherboard and convert it to a more standardized video format with some specialized hardware and then upscale with a (hopefully clean) looking scaler and output over HDMI, but that'd be some really expensive and time-consuming research and development for a mod that'd be extremely difficult to install and the results would still just be upscaled 480p, 480i, or 576i video.

Nothing would ever come close to how good Dolphin looks because Dolphin doesn't upscale, it literally runs the games/software in multiples of the original resolution because it's an emulator and it doesn't have the same restrictions that physical hardware does.

Not to mention the Wii U exists and does do a half-decent job of upscaling the native Wii resolutions to 1080p, and you really have an idea that very few would take advantage of, it'd be costly, and difficult to install, and there are already cheaper alternatives. The Wii is not an NES either, the kind of work involved in installation would be very daunting.

I myself just use a cheap Wii2HDMI adapter from amazon on my Wii console. It doesn't upscale but it does at least let me display the video in Component to my TV over HDMI instead of Composite with A/V cables.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, Aug 2, 2018
  3. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    Sure, the NES can be 'upscaled' to 1080p with modification, but that is just a 240p image being stretched to fit a 1080p image size. Dolphin does something completely different, where it actually renders the Wii at a proper 1080p or beyond, Instead of a simple upscale. In fact, certain Wii2HDMI adpaters do upscale to 1080p, but the results will only be equal to a 480p image with component cables, maybe with less noise. The Wii simply doesn't have the power to render a native 1080p image like Dolphin does, but Wii2HDMI can 'fake' a 1080p via upscaling, but results won't be much better than 480p component cables.

TotalInsanity4 and Petraplexity like this.
  4. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    @bananapi761 , again, like I said, there exist a modchip that doesn’t only make it pixel-perfect, but also comes with a ton of features.
    Speaking of the Wii2HDMI faking upscaling to 1080p, it has nothing to hide.
    No matter what I tried, it never scaled up to 1080p.
    I’ve heard Hyperkin released a Wii to HDMI cable, 480p, but isn’t there really something people can do?
    I mean, it’s possible I think.

5. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    simple. b/c the wii isn't naively 1080p you can only upscale its resolution. Dolphin does everything perfectly b/c its using your PC hardware to output everything

6. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    I've only heard that some models along with the PS2 to HDMI can upscale to 1080p, while some stick to the source resolution. It isn't difficult for a 1080p cable or converter to HDMI for the Wii to be made, but the source resolution will always be 480p, no matter what the cable/converter upscales to, giving results not much better than 480p component cables.

Last edited by bananapi761, Aug 2, 2018
  7. newo

newo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Physics the wii hardware is already maxed out. It cant do any more work. Dolphin is running on a PC. You could try to install dophin on actual wii hardware and see if that works.

8. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Installing Dolphin on a Wii?
    That's impossible.

9. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    How should that work??

10. Sathya

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    is it impossible to use this upscaler? https://bit.ly/2AQ2wEQ
    im very very interesting about this...... and i hope will possible:)

Last edited by Sathya, Aug 7, 2018
  11. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Use component and then use super resolution if you have an UHD tv. That is the closest you will get

12. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I do have to know what the quality looks like.
    Most of the times, when I search up those upscalers or converters, they cause to have a blurry mess, audio being not the same or just not working at all, ect.

However, I recently found a modded cable that outputs the Wii to VGA with an external audio cable. I think it will look good, even though it won't scale it up, I think it will look pretty good.

13. Sathya

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    ''etc''

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What about some kind of viewport render done in quadrants and stitched together by an external device. Have some glorious 15fps 1080p video.

Friendsxix and Lucifer666 like this.
  15. electronrancher

electronrancher GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2018
    United States
    My TV upscales it, isn't that the same as using an external upscaler? There's no way to get more pixels out of the wii, so it's all a copy to 4 operation IMO

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It depends; some ADC/upscaler combos are better than others (and while I wouldn't bet on a ?$10? product freeshipped direct from China, it's probably not surprising if most TV manufacturers don't care much - especially if helped by a bribe from Big Media towards drm-friendly interfaces)

17. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I think you'll find that upscaling blocky retro games will always look better than upscaling something in which the end result SHOULDN'T look like it has pixels the size of your thumb

18. electronrancher

Aug 4, 2018
    United States
    That's true, I guess I was mostly considering the low end ones. Got any recommendations for a good one? That could preferably take rca as well?

19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I'm not really familiar with specific products: my recommendation is a TV with a curved screen before they became mainstream (containing some metal parts, some phosphor-based chemicals, and a lot of empty space); they are usually cheaper than a bottom-barrel new LCD too! :D

20. electronrancher

Aug 4, 2018
    United States
    For the true retro feel! And include an rf modulator for those colecovision days. Not kidding, we play the classics here too.